Nelson man bit mother of his children and hit her with mobile phone

Burnley Magistrates Court.
Burnley Magistrates Court.
Share this article

A Nelson dad who sank his teeth into the mother of his children and hit her with a mobile phone, then bombarded her with threatening messages, a court heard.

Lee Nolan (27) had bitten Daenna Parkinson’s head after he had lunged at her in the violent outburst on January 31st.

Nolan was then wanted by police and over the following days he contacted the defendant. Some of the phone calls and texts were threatening and others were wanting help. The defendant sent Ms Parkinson 25 texts and rang her almost 90 times. Burnley magistrates were told.

Nolan denied harassment on or between January 31st and February 2nd and assault by beating but owned up as his victim was about to give evidence after he denied the charges.

The defendant of Branch Street, Nelson, was jailed for two years just weeks ago after he stole a safe containing over £9,000, belonging to a life-long friend and was involved in a police chase. He has now been given a 16-week custodial term for the offences against Ms Parkinson, as well as a two year restraining order, banning contact.

Bench chairman Paul Roberts told Nolan he had used a weapon, the attack was sustained, and children were in the house. He added the defendant had shown remorse. The latest sentence will run concurrently to the term Roberts is already serving.

John Beggs (prosecuting) said the assault took place after the defendant and victim went out for the evening.

On January 30th, Nolan and Ms Parkinson had been socialising with friends and stayed over. They woke up and she would say he was argumentative and started going on at her. She eventually left and went to use a phone box. The defendant saw her, ran at her, lunged at her, barged her and nearly sent her flying.

The prosecutor continued: “She ran back to the house and the assault took place there. It was grabbing and biting of her head and striking her to the face with a mobile phone. The children were present in the house at the time.”

After Nolan, who must pay an £80 victim surcharge, was sentenced, he told the court: “I’m sorry for being a bit of a loud mouth.”