The inquest of a Nelson man who was killed by a shark while on his honeymoon in the Seychelles, has heard that such incidents are “virtually unheard of”.
Ian Redmond (30), who grew up in Deerstone Road, died after being attacked at a popular beach on the island of Praslin.
He was the second victim in two weeks following the death of a 36-year-old French tourist.
His wife Gemma was told by the Acting High Commissioner for the Seychelles, Bernard Silver, that before the tragedy last year, there had been no such attacks in 50 years.
The couple who had been had been renovating a property in Roby Mill had been married just 10 days when Mr Redmond was attacked by a shark while snorkelling.
The hearing at Bolton Coroners Court heard how at around 4.15 p.m. on August 16, 2011, Mr Redmond was in the sea on the busy tourist beach of Anse Lazio. At around 5 p.m. Gemma, who was reading a book on the beach heard a shout and realised he was in trouble.
Despite two boats rushing to his aid and the help of a surgeon Mr Redmond was pronounced dead on arrival at Victoria Hospital.
Recording a verdict of accidental death, the deputy coroner for Greater Manchester, Alan Walsh said: “Ian Redmond was an intelligently, energetic dedicated and successful young man.
“He was in the prime of his life and looking forward to his marriage and career.
“He lost his life in tragic and horrific circumstances in a time when he was at his happiest.
“It is unimaginable to think of the trauma his wife, family and friends have gone through and they have my deepest condolences and sympathy.”