Paramedics treat woman after Nelson chip pan blaze

Firefighters working on kitchen fire at Berriedale Road, Nelson.
Firefighters working on kitchen fire at Berriedale Road, Nelson.
Share this article

A WOMAN in her 60s who was affected by a severe kitchen fire at her home in Nelson was checked out by paramedics as firefighters dealt with the blaze.

The victim was in the house with a granddaughter and friend when a chip pan went up in flames, but they did manage to escape. She was looked after in a neighbour’s home until the ambulance arrived and the crew treated her. She did not need to go to hospital afterwards.

The blaze happened at her house in Berriedale Road at lunchtime on Wednesday and two fire crews from Nelson were called out.

Watch Manager Neil Hardiman said: “It was a chip pan fire and the heat had spread to the entire kitchen. The kitchen was destroyed by the fire and the remainder of the house was severely damaged by smoke.”

Four firefighters in breathing apparatus dealt with the blaze. A positive pressure ventilation unit was used to force heat and smoke out.

WM Hardiman explained the victim had gone into the kitchen and was affected by conditions there. The chip pan had been left on mistakenly and gone up in smoke.