Woman (71) rescued in Colne launderette fire drama

editorial image
Share this article

A 71-YEAR-OLD woman had to be rescued from her first floor flat by firefighters following a blaze at a launderette in Langroyd Road, Colne, on Tuesday night.

The fire, which broke out shortly after 11 p.m., caused severe fire, heat and smoke damage to the launderette, moderate smoke damage to two other rooms on the ground floor and light smoke damage to six first floor rooms.

The woman was brought to safety from the first floor by firefighters using an extension ladder and was said to be unharmed.

Crews used breathing apparatus, two hose reels, a jet, two thermal imaging cameras and a ventilation unit to deal with the fire, which is not being treated as suspicious.