Earby Cricket Club mourns death of stalwart

Players observed a minute’s silence before their game on Sunday at Earby Cricket club in memory of Mrs Margaret Wiseman, who died last week after a short illness.

Thursday, 1st September 2011, 8:24 am

Mrs Wiseman (81) was a stalwart of the Applegarth Club, and has lived all 65 years of her married life in the same house in William Street, overlooking the ground.

Both her sons, Ronnie and Michael, have played for the club and Ronnie was a member of the 2nd XI team which wore black armbands during their last game of the season – when they clinched the Ribblesdale League Division Two championship. Michael captained the club’s 1st XI for several years; he died in 1999 aged 52.

“Margaret was a dedicated supporter of the club, she had been involved for 60 years and rarely missed a game,” said club chairman Mr Stuart Pepper.

For many years she was a member of the Ladies Committee, helping in the kitchen on match days and was regularly involved in fund-raising activities.

She was born at Hartley Hospital, Colne, and lived all her early life in Barnoldswick and was among the first pupils to attend the new Secondary Modern School, now West Craven High School. Her class moved to the school even before it was finished and had lessons with building work taking place around them. She met her future husband, Jim, during a dance at the former social club on Northolme Estate, Earby, and they married a year later.

Like many of her generation, she started her working life in the cotton mills, and also worked for Tom Clarke in the early years as he set up a mattress business which was to become Silentnight. She also worked in the bakery and shop of Fred Pickles for several years and was a friendly face behind the bar at the Stone Trough Inn, Kelbrook, when Mr and Mrs Wilkinson ran the pub. Before retiring, Mrs Wiseman worked at Johnson and Johnson for 15 years.

Her spare time she devoted to craft work and could always be found knitting, doing cross-stitch, or making elaborate greetings cards.

She is survived by her husband, Jim, son Ronnie, four granddaughters and five great grandchildren.

Her funeral was held on Wednesday at All Saints’ Church, Earby.