Admirals facing uphill task after another home defeat

Chris Turner scored and claimed an assist in Nelson's defeat
Chris Turner scored and claimed an assist in Nelson's defeat

Nelson will have to pull a rabbit out of the hat if they’re to avoid finishing in the bottom two of the Hallmark Security First Division.

Following a 21st defeat of the season against Sandbach United at Victoria Park, the Admirals are six points adrift of St Helens Town with two games in hand, but three of their next four fixtures are against teams in the top six, including league leaders Silsden AFC.

Unable to follow up their 2-0 triumph over Daisy Hill at Little Wembley, the Blues almost fell behind after six minutes when Matty Pearson’s close range header, from a Jordan Davies corner, travelled wide of the post.

But when the away side’s leading scorer, James Kirby, was played through by Stuart Tulloch there would only be one outcome.

The striker, later awarded man of the match, looped the ball over Marcel Wusiewicz from outside the penalty area and the ball went in off the upright.

The visitors doubled their lead on the quarter-of-an-hour mark when Wusiewicz repelled Ryan Allcock’s effort only for Tulloch to tuck in the rebound from six yards out.

An exceptional last ditch challenge from United left back Adam Clayton denied Martin Trickett from pulling a goal back for the hosts midway through the half and that provided the platform for them to go on and extend their advantage.

Tulloch turned provider once again, picking out Josh Lane in the 37th minute who poked the ball beneath the goalkeeper from just inside the penalty area to make it 3-0.

After the interval, Andrew Tinker’s determined goal-line clearance prevented Davies from adding a fourth after he’d muscled his way in to the box while Jamie Wynne produced an equally impressive block on the line to deny Tulloch.

Nelson got themselves back into the game in the 67th minute when Ryan Moss thwarted James Wolfenden’s attempt from Chris Turner’s deep set-piece, but the midfielder netted with a second bite of the cherry.

The home side made it 3-2 four minutes later when Turner curled the ball into the top corner from outside the area, leaving keeper Moss flat-footed.

Wynne went close to an equaliser with 10 minutes remaining, heading straight at Moss from close range but United secured the points in the 87th minute.

Substitute Brandon Moores dispossessed Wusiewicz and slotted the ball into an empty net.

The Blues welcome Alsager Town to Lomeshaye Way tomorrow, kick off 3 p.m.