Anderson and Jordan on target in Reds victory

Colne's Andy Tinker and Danny Boyle challenge for the ball
Colne's Andy Tinker and Danny Boyle challenge for the ball
Share this article

Colne saw off the challenge of AFC Liverpool for the second time in five weeks with a hard fought 2-0 win at the XLCR Stadium on Saturday.

The Reds missed a great chance to take an early lead when Chris Anderson had his close range shot blocked by the visitors’ keeper in the third minute of the game after Spencer Jordan’s penetrating run. Anderson had another shot blocked after 14 minutes following an excellent build-up by Colne. And the Reds put pressure on the visitors’ goal with some good moves by Andy Tinker on the left wing prompted by Simon Nangle in the midfield.

Liverpool came close on the half hour when Carl Peers’ unstoppable shot whistled inches past the post of the Colne goal as he met a low cross from the left wing with a perfectly timed volley.

But with the game evenly balanced, the Reds broke the deadlock on the stroke of half time when Jordan broke into the area and toe-poked the ball past the keeper for Danny Boyle to tap home and give Colne the lead.

Liverpool came back strongly in the second half but found Colne keeper Chris Thompson in great form. After 55 minutes, he made a flying save to push the ball round the post after Ryan Cox turned Muktar Mahama’s cross goalwards with a clever flick. And on the hour, he made another excellent save in a one-on-one with Sean Calland after Francis Barry had sent the Liverpool striker through.

Having weathered the storm, Colne began to get more of a foothold in the game and Boyle’s presence on the right wing sparked some promising attacks. His low cross after 65 minutes was helped on by Jordan at the near post and cleared off the toes of Anderson by some desperate defending in the visitors’ goalmouth.

And the Reds struck with a vengeance when Boyle released Anderson with a through ball from the half way line which Anderson took on to slot past the keeper and double the Red’s lead on 70 minutes.

Kieran Demaine linked up with Boyle to further increase Colne’s attacking options and as the game opened up, Jordan’s cross from the bye-line was just too high for Tom Berwick at the far post. With Colne in control of the game, they almost had a third goal when Nathan Bond’s point blank header was blocked on the goal-line in the closing stages.

A good performance by the Reds that showed that they are back on track and looking to improve their League position. However next Saturday they are in Cup action when they travel to 1874 Northwich for the second round of the Men United Cup (NWC League Cup).