Barnoldswick Town’s fate in the hands of Bacup

Harry Thompson, right, and Mark Keddie battle for the ball on Saturday
Harry Thompson, right, and Mark Keddie battle for the ball on Saturday
Share this article

Barnoldswick Town were seconds from relegation on Tuesday night, but have lived to fight another day.

However, their fate now lies in the hands of Bacup Borough, who must win at Ashton Athletic tomorrow by more than one goal.

Following the 1-0 defeat at Runcorn Town in their final game of the season on Saturday, Town knew a win for St Helens at home to Silsden on Tuesday would see Stewart Airdrie’s side go down.

And in the third minute of injury time, St Helens led 1-0, only for Kevin Ryan to equalise and grant Town a reprieve.

That left Bacup needing to win their last two games, and overturn a goal difference of three, to relegate Barlick.

On Wednesday night, Bacup won 4-2 at home to Bootle, setting up a nervy day.

Against Runcorn, the first chance of the match fell to the hosts, James McShane threading the ball through for Kristian Bell, but he blazed wildly over the bar.

Shortly after, Mark Threlfall and Thomas Henderson combined to find Martin Broderick 25 yards out, and he unleashed a thunderbolt of a shot, but straight at Daniel Lever, who collected at the second attempt.

Town continued to press and James Crorken was inches away from turning in Kieron Lee’s cross.

Town keeper Scott Reid had to make a smart save from a Bell shot after 20 minutes, before Bell hit the side-netting after robbing Chris Ridehalgh.

Reid then saved from danger man Paul Shanley, but Town finished the half in the ascendency, with Threlfall twice going close.

With 21 minjutes left, Town had a great chance as Henderson won possession and lobbed the ball towards goal, only for a Runcorn defender to deflect it for a corner. Two minutes later Threlfall played the ball to Henderson, who beat the full back before forcing Lever to pluck the ball from the top corner.

Unfortunately, two minutes later Runcorn scored the winner. A cross came in and Runcorn full back Ross Davies caught the ball sweetly, curling the ball low inside the left hand post of Reid’s goal.

As Town pressed for an equaliser, it was Runcorn who came the nearest to scoring two minutes into injury time, Shanley shooting wide when he should have scored.