Barnoldswick Town without a point

editorial image
Share this article

Barnoldswick Town remain without a point after four games following a 5-0 derby reverse at Nelson on Tuesday night.

Town had new signings Scott Byrom and Bryn Potter in the starting line-up, and Mark Threlfall was on the bench after a three-match suspension.

Nelson started off well, as Town keeper Edward Hall had to fist a cross clear under pressure, and the ball fell to Ben Hoskin on the edge of the area, but he pulled his shot wide.

Hall had to be alert again to tip a Peter Wright free kick over the bar.

Town’s first chance came after 20 minutes as Aaron Hollindrake fed Joel Melia, who crossed, with Chris Simpson’s header just grazing the post. Five minutes later Melia had a shot tipped round the post by keeper Ben Woodhead.

Slightly against the run of play on the half hour, Nelson took the lead, Hall made another good save from Wright, conceding a corner.

Danny Mahoney took the corner and found Hoskin inside the six-yard box, and his header gave Hall no chance.

Town then committed the cardinal sin of not clearing their lines, Hall’s attempted clearance hitting a Nelson player and falling into the path of Hoskin, who made no mistake to put the Blues 2-0 up.

It was all Nelson up to half-time, with Hall having to make further good saves from Jonny Hession and Ged Morris.

Nelson started the better again in the second half, and Hoskin and Jake Lloyd had shots blocked after a Mahoney free kick on the edge of the area.

Town started to get back into the game, and Hollindrake was sent clear, but though his shot beat Woodhead, it re-bounded off the base of the far post to safety.

Two minutes later Potter crossed along the six-yard line, and Hollindrake saw his shot blocked and loop up towards goal, where Woodhead was thankful to see it drop harmlessly into his arms.

Nelson had a chance to go three up on the hour mark, as, from Mahoney’s cross, Liam Roswell sliding in could only send the ball the wrong side of the near post.

Town then had a great move ruled out for off-side after Simpson slipped the ball through to Hollindrake.

A minute later Martin Broderick played Simpson in, and when he was brought down, the officials deemed it just outside the area.

Byrom’s corner was planted right on Shaun Airey’s head at the far post, but he could only direct his header wide.

Town were punished as Nelson added more goals through Edward O’Neill (80), Wright (85) and Liam Boswell (89).

On Saturday, Town went down 3-1 at another promoted side in 1874 Northwich.

They trailed to a Michael Brandon nine minutes before the break, and Matthew Beadle added a second two minutes after the restart.

Broderick pulled one back, but just after the hour, Brandon’s second made it 3-1 to seal the points.

Today Town are in FA Challenge Cup Extra Preliminary Round action at Tadcaster Albion, before a home league game with AFC Blackpool on Tuesday night.