Battling Reds undone

Colne FC: Andy Tinker.
Colne FC: Andy Tinker.
Share this article

COLNE’S game at Bacup on Tuesday night fell victim to the weather, as they looked to bounce back from Saturday’s 2-1 defeat at Flixton.

The injury-hit Reds - who called upon boss Nigel Coates as their final substituation - turned in a battling display at Flixton, but were caught cold after only two minutes when Andrew Keogh met a corner at the near post to head the hosts into an early lead.

Colne came back strongly, and when Andy Tinker was brought down in a right wing attack, Billy Priestley outjumped the home defence to head Dominic Craig’s free kick goalwards, and Tinker headed home from close range to level the scores at 1-1.

At the other end, Chris Thompson got down well to save Daniel Egan’s shot at the foot of the post, but Colne had the chance to take the lead on 21 minutes when Joe Garvin’s through ball sent Mark Threlfall clear. However, Flixton defender Thomas Bailey got back to make a vitsal block.

On 25 minutes, Garvin’s low free kick found Priestley in the goalmouth but he was unable to turn the ball goalwards.

Then from Craig’s corner, Priestley and Danny Gleave got in each other’s way at the far post to miss out on what looked a great chance of a headed goal.

Tinker was injured after 36 minutes and needed hospital treatment, but his replacement Sam Hayes almost grabbed a goal when his header hit the outside of the post five minutes before half time.

While at the other end, Priestley prevented a certain goal by Aaron Hevingham with a vital tackle.

Colne made a promising start to the second half with Garvin forcing a good save from Flixton keeper James Jowsey and Neil Stansfield glancing a header wide.

But 10 minutes into the second half, Priestley was harshly sent off for pulling back Wayne Wellbeck when the Flixton striker broke clear, even though the slight tug on his arm required the intervention of the assistant to bring it to the referee’s attention.

And from the resulting free kick, Phil Drummond found the top corner of the net to give the home side the lead.

Colne battled on and 12 minutes later, Micky Woodvine had a great chance to equalise when he found himself in the clear on the edge of the area but blasted wide of goal with just the keeper to beat.

And three minutes later, Colne manager Coates came on as the third sub when Garvin went off injured.

Coates might have got on the score sheet when Threlfall’s flicked header found him on the edge of the area but he pulled his first time shot wide.

Threlfall went down under a challenge in the penalty area but the referee waved aside claims for a penalty and, in a later incident, Threlfall again found space in the area but blasted the chance over the bar as time ran out for the Reds in an end to end finale.

The Reds are at home to Runcorn Town tomorrow at the XLCR Stadium, kick-off 3 p.m., before hosting Runcorn Linnets on Tuesday night (note 8 p.m. kick-off).

Colne Reserves produced another excellent performance to beat Workington Reserves 3-1 at the XLCR Stadium in the Galaxy Lancashire League on Monday evening.

The Reds took an early lead when Ben Bridson found the net with a well struck left foot shot.

And they might have doubled their lead after 21 minutes when Chris Walker set up a chance for Chris Baron, but he lifted his shot over the bar from close range.

Workington came close to an equaliser after 32 minutes when Aaron Roberts raced clear of the home defenc,e but Bobby Harris blocked his shot before Roberts headed the rebound wide.

Colne doubled their lead on 40 minutes when Baron’s run won a corner, and Alex Grice’s cross was headed home by Steve Pickup in a crowded penalty area.

With half-time approaching, Walker put the Reds three in front when he slotted the ball past the keeper in a one-on-one confrontation.

As the second half began, Liam Goggin’s free kick fell to Pickup, who blasted a 10-yard shot against the visitors’ crossbar, while at the other end Grice made a great tackle to stop Chris Rowley as he bore down on the Colne goal.

Workington pulled a goal back on 68 minutes when Jake Smith’s high cross from the left wing caught out Harris as it dropped inside the far post.

Harris was soon in action again as he knocked away Rowley’s shot from under his crossbar.

But as Colne maintained their attacking momentum, Neil Stansfield almost caught visiting keeper Lee Jolly out with a chip which the keeper just managed to get a hand to.

And the Reds felt they should have had a penalty when Luke McVarish was flattened in the area on 82 minutes.

It was a deserved victory in an entertaining game which lifts the Reds above Workington to fourth in the league table.