Blues are undone by Silsden

The Blues left Merseyside ruing missed chances
The Blues left Merseyside ruing missed chances
Share this article

Nelson took one point from their two matches over the week, drawing 1-1 at Bootle on Saturday, before a dramatic 3-2 derby defeat at home to Silsden on Tuesday night.

On Saturday, the Blues left Merseyside ruing missed chances after fighting back from a goal down to draw 1-1.

A second half Joe O’Neill equaliser cancelled out Bootle’s opener in a match which was the proverbial game of two halves.

Nelson came out the brighter of the two sides, carving early chances from a Gareth Peet fre kick and a Charlie Holt header, before Peter Wright almost caught out the home keeper with a chip that went high into the side netting.

Debutant Callum Mahoney headed over on 10 minutes before hitting a wayward shot over the bar from outside the area.

Bootle’s first sight of goal came with a volley which flew high and wide from a couple of yards out from a corner.

Joe O’Neill had an effort blocked in the six-yard box after Danny Mahoney had released Peet, who delivered a whipped cross for O’Neill.

Bootle then settled into a patch of pressure which would eventually lead to their goal after a couple of warning shots.

A right footed shot flew just over the bar, before a drilled effort was deflected wide of the goal on 32 minutes.

Two minutes later Bootle opened the scoring through Kurt Sherlock.

A pin-point cross came in from the left for Sherlock, who was unmarked and able to head home from only a matter of yards.

Jake Lloyd put in a fantastic sliding block tackle to prevent Bootle doubling their lead just before half-time, before Wright had a close range effort blocked.

A minute into the second half Callum Mahoney fired a right-foot effort inches wide after Ed O’Neill’s pass.

Andy Mason slid in just in time to prevent Bootle firing an effort on goal on the counter attack, but just after the hou, Peet played a neat one-two with Wright before firing his effort into the feet of Bootle’s keeper.

Lloyd ran onto a loose ball on the edge of the area, but could only curl his effort high and wide of the far post, and Ed O’Neill had a shot blocked on the edge of the box.

Danny Mahoney sent an effort over from six yards after a wonderfully weighted through ball from substitute Dom Mahoney, but on 82 minutes, Joe O’Neill popped up in the box to deliver the equaliser, rolling the ball past the keeper, following a great burst down the right from Danny Mahoney and a pass from Wright.

On Tuesday night, Matthew O’Neill gave Nelson a fifth-minute lead, before Zack Dale levelled matter for Silsden on 26 minutes.

Two minutes later, Ryan Salmon put the Admirals back in front, a lead they held at the break.

However, on the hour, Craig Nicholls gave Silsden the lead for the first time, and they netted what proved to be the winner six minutes later courtesy of Andy Hill’s spot kick.

Tomorrow Nelson are at West Didsbury and Chorlton.