Blues riding high after a perfect start to season

Michael Berry netted twice in Nelson's 4-0 win over Leek CSOB
Michael Berry netted twice in Nelson's 4-0 win over Leek CSOB

Nelson are joint top of the North West Counties First Division after picking up maximum points from their first two games.

After a 4-0 win at Leek CSOB on Saturday, the Blues won a thriller at home to Holker Old Boys 3-2 on Wednesday night.

On Wednesday, the Admirals fell behind on three minutes when Jack Brooks was ruled to have fouled Brad Hubbold - who appeared to have been flagged off-side.

Nelson were incensed when Holker skipper Phillip Combe curled a right footed shot past Pilkington to give the visitors an early lead.

Against the run of play, with Holker playing some neat passing football, the Blues were level just before the break, Liam Boswell brought down Josh Barrick’s diagonal ball and hit a 25-yard drive against the post, only for Ash Higgins to turn in the rebound.

On the hour mark Nelson were in front, Adam Dawson picking the ball up 40 yards from goal, before playing a one-two with Boswell before finding the net from 20 yards.

Holker levelled 10 minutes later as a throw in from the right let Daniel Pattison in to score.

But with the game poised for a draw, Boswell’s shot was blocked, only for substitute Jonny Hession to head home.

Nelson started the season with a 4-0 demolition of Leek CSOB in Staffordshire on Saturday.

After only seven minutes, Boswell opened his account, as the former Bury star burst down the left, cut inside past two defenders and slotted home.

Within five minutes, Leek goalkeeper Hackney sent off for inexplicably handling outside of his area.

The second period saw Leek eventually ran out of steam and Nelson began to assert themselves.

Nat Taylor squandered a great opening from eight yards from a Boswell cross, before Andy Eaton darted inside from the left, only to see his effort clear the bar.

The game was eventually put to bed with three goals in 10 minutes.

Berry made it 2-0 with a neat finish on 57 minutes, and eight minutes later Tom Anderton stole in at the back post to poke home from a Boswell delivery.

Then on 67 minutes Berry converted a Taylor cross for 4-0.

Nelson were refused another penalty when Taylor went down in the box with 12 minutes remaining, but they were home and hosed, and Leek suffered a further blow as they were reduced to nine men on 84 minutes.

The Blues host Chadderton tomorrow, before a trip to Atherton Collieries on Monday night.