Boyle hat-trick breaks former club’s hearts

Jordan beats the Northwich keeper but the shot goes wide
Jordan beats the Northwich keeper but the shot goes wide
Share this article

In the local derby at Barnoldswick on Tuesday night, former Town striker Danny Boyle turned the game around with a hat-trick to inflict a resounding defeat on the hosts after they had led with an early goal.

Barnoldswick went in front after only 10 minutes when Jonathan Beckwith fired home from inside the area after Joel Melia had opened up the Reds defence.

And the first half belonged to the home side as they refused to allow Colne to settle on the ball, keeping them penned in their own half for long periods.

Former Red Mark Threlfall forced a great save from Chris Thompson after 20 minutes with a volley from a corner kick. And Beckwith saw his looping header pushed over the bar by Thompson.

Colne’s incursions into the area were few and far between but a minute before the break, Boyle cut inside from the left wing and was brought down as he dribbled through a posse of defenders, giving the Reds a penalty.

Boyle made light of the pressure from the Sewer End and fired the spot kick home.

The second half had hardly got underway when Jonathan Hodgkinson played a superb through ball that sent Boyle racing into the area and his angled shot beat the keeper and went in off the far post.

The Reds took control of the game and Boyle’s cross from the bye line was scrambled clear from the goalmouth, before Chris Anderson fired a volley wide from Spencer Jordan’s cross.

Colne went further ahead on the hour when Simon Nangle provided a through ball for Boyle to take past the keeper and fire home for a 3-1 lead.

Barnoldswick threw players forward but repeatedly found Hodgkinson and Alex Coleman in great form in defence, although Martin Broderick came close with a long range pile driver that flew just wide of the post.

The Reds finished on a high with a goal two minutes from full time when Anderson went clear on a through ball and slotted home Colne’s fourth to round off a successful evening for the Reds.

On Saturday, Colne paid the price for their lack of finishing power when they slipped to a 1-0 defeat against third place 1874 Northwich at the XLCR Stadium.

The Reds dominated the first half with some good football, while Andy Tinker had a goal ruled out by an off-side flag after 17 minutes.

The second half began well for Colne, but as the half wore on, it was a more even contest and Northwich had a goal disallowed after 55 minutes for off-side.

And midway through, Northwich scored the winner when Michael Brandon headed home a high cross from Jamie Tandy at the far post.

On Saturday, Colne travel to AFC Liverpool, 3 p.m. kick-off.