Boyle hits late winner as Town advance in FA Cup

Danny Boyle's shot is saved by Aidan Grant
Danny Boyle's shot is saved by Aidan Grant
Share this article

Danny Boyle fired Barnoldswick Town into the first qualifying round of the Emirates FA Cup with a late winner on Saturday.

And Danny Craig’s side will now travel to Albion Sports – extra preliminary round conquerors of Nelson – a week tomorrow.

Joel Melia hits the post

Joel Melia hits the post

Up until two weeks previous, Town had never won a game in the FA Cup, but after seeing off Jarrow Roofing 3-1 at the Silentnight Stadium, they added the scalp of Dunston UTS on Saturday.

And it was sweet revenge for Barlick, who exited the competition at the hands of Dunston in a replay last year.

Town started the game well, looking the more likely to score.

On 14 minutes, Boyle tried a shot from 18 yards which went wide, before, midway through the half, Joel Melia fired in a shot from 15 yards which struck the upright and was cleared.

James Crorken sets up Aaron Hollindrake to score

James Crorken sets up Aaron Hollindrake to score

Just after the half hour, Aaron Hollindrake got a chance from 22 yards as Dunston failed to clear their box, but the shot went over.

Two minutes later, Shaun Airey failed to hit the target as a flicked shot went over the bar from close range.

Melia then broke into the box, but keeper Aidan Grant stopped the shot.

A minute later, Town skipper James Crorken broke free down the Dunston right, keeper Aidan Grant came charging out of his goal, and Crorken slipped the ball across the penalty area to the unmarked Aaron Hollindrake.

Although there was a defender near the goal line, he steered the ball past him into the empty net.

Town keeper Connor King made a good save from a free kick just before half-time, before Melia fired a shot wide of the Dunston goal.

Hollindrake’s effort proved the only goal of the half as Town went in at the break a goal to the good.

Town had started the second half well when, five minutes in, Airey passed the ball back to King in the Town goal.

Under pressure from Scott Heslop, the keeper slipped as the ball hit a divot, causing the ball to jump over his foot, allowing Heslop to easily score.

For the next 20 minutes, Town had to defend hard as Dunston came at them with renewed vigour.

Dunston had the upper hand, and had five corners within the next five minutes as Liam Thear and Michael Pearson both had efforts deflected wide.

Town withstood the onslaught and started to impose themselves back on the game.

Boyle forced Grant into a great save, palming the ball away, and was quickly onto the rebound, firing his shot against the post as Grant tried to get back onto his feet.

On 74 minutes, Dunston had a chance to take the lead, but Airey was on hand to produce a last-ditch challenge 12 yards out.

In a typical cup tie, play ebbed one way and then the other, and Barnoldswick replied through Zack Dale, who shot wide from 22 yards out.

Five minutes from time, Dunston man of the match Grant pulled off a diving save from Boyle, and the rebound came out to Mark Threlfall, whose shot was pushed wide.

A minute later, Grant, who was prone to coming out of his penalty area, and he collided with Callum Elliott trying to clear a through ball.

Boyle picked up the loose ball and skipped past the pair before sliding the ball into an empty net, for what proved to be the winner.

Tomorrow, Town are back in league action at home to Runcorn Town, before a trip to Squires Gate on Tuesday night.

l Nelson’s game at Atherton LR on Saturday was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.

The Admirals are at New Mills tomorrow.