Burnley 0, Swansea City 1

Share this article

Burnley's unbeaten league run came to an end on the opening day of the Premier League season as Swansea City took three points away from Turf Moor.

The Clarets, who were unbeaten in eight months having gone 23 games without defeat, looked to have done enough to secure a point until Swans summer signing Leroy Fer pounced late on.

Dean Marney tangles with Jack Cork

Dean Marney tangles with Jack Cork

All the attention prior to kick-off, particularly in the hours building up towards the opening day, centred on imminent arrival Steven Defour following the news that the Clarets had agreed a deal with RSC Anderlecht to break their transfer record.

The 28-year-old Belgian is expected to land in Lancashire tomorrow (Sunday) for a medical on Monday ahead of completing a €8.5m move.

But it was the club's current record buy that took centre stage at Turf Moor after 3 p.m. as Andre Gray made his first start in the Premier League.

Last season's top scorer, who was voted Championship player of the year, was looking to carry on where he left off having netted nine times in six pre-season outings, including a hat-trick against Rangers at Ibrox.

The striker orchestrated the home side's best opening of the first half, almost finishing off the counter that he'd sprung on the edge of his own box, but goalkeeper Lukasz Fabianski was equal to the drive after Kyle Naughton had been bypassed.

Two years ago, as Sean Dyche's side got their second campaign in the top flight under way, Scott Arfield opened the scoring in the first game against Chelsea on home soil.

And the Canada international almost replicated that start when testing Fabianski early on. Sam Vokes towered above Naughton to nod Michael Keane's angled pass in to the path of Arfield but the Swans stopper saved the resulting strike at the foot of his right hand post.

Modou Barrow, who spent a snippet of last term on loan at Ewood Park, proved a troublesome outlet for the visitors with a marriage of pace and good footwork forcing the Clarets on the back foot.

It was the 23-year-old's drive that forced an entry in to the final third, resulting in Wayne Routledge crossing and new boy Fernando Llorente heading in to the arms of Tom Heaton.

The Spaniard, a World Cup winner in 2010, flicked a header over the top soon after as he looked to open his account in England and then tested Heaton with an attempt from the edge of the box after Ben Mee had conceded possession in a dangerous area of the pitch.

Gray went close when spinning goal side of Jordi Amat from George Boyd's penetrative flick midway through the half but, slightly off balance, the former Brentford man couldn't find the target with his right foot from an acute angle.

At the opposite end Barrow was the dangerman again, popping up on the left hand side on this occasion, and the winger picked out Routledge who should've done better when drilling wide of the far upright unchallenged.

Once Fer had blazed over from 20 yards, Stephen Kingsley saw his speculative effort saved and Gray had been denied by Fabianski, Francesco Guidolin's men almost broke the deadlock as the interval approached.

However, Arfield was well positioned to clear off the line after Federico Fernandez steered Routledge's corner goalwards.

Both side's created ample opportunities in the second half but the breakthrough arrived late on.

Dean Marney's looping header had City's Polish international keeper beaten from Matt Lowton's delivery but the ball nestled on the roof of the net.

Burnley's next chance had Dyche up in arms on the touchline and it was no surprise as the hosts were unfortunate not to have a penalty.

Jones supplied the corner and Michael Keane looked destined to convert at the back post until Fer intervened by pulling his shirt. Referee Jonathan Moss was oblivious to the incident.

Fabianski, who conceded just twice in four games at the European Championships in France over the summer, was in fine form as he continued to keep the home side at bay.

The one-time Gunner made an exceptional save to thwart Vokes, floating to his left to turn the Welshman's effort around the post from Arfield's assist.

Lowton sliced wide and Swans substitute Gylfi Sigurdsson saw his set-piece beaten away by Heaton as both sides continued to press.

The miss of the match arrived from the resulting corner. Sigurdsson supplied, former Claret Jack Cork got the flick and Fernandez somehow lifted the ball over the bar from inside the six-yard box after getting ahead of his marker.

Llorente was also guilty of squandering a golden opportunity, guiding his header wide of the woodwork from Jefferson Montero's centre as Stephen Ward applied late pressure.

Eventually, though, the visitors found the back of the net to secure a third successive 1-0 win over the Clarets in the Premier League.

Heaton did tremendously well to pluck Llorente's deflected header off the line from Montero's cross but Fer reacted quickest to tap the ball in to an empty net.

The hosts went close to a deserved equaliser in time added on but once again Fabianski was in the way, showing a strong right hand to turn Marney's strike away after Johann Gudmundsson's free-kick had been blocked by the wall.