Colen squander two-goal lead

Nathan Taylor
Nathan Taylor
Share this article

HAVING not lost a league game since the end of September the form guide suggested that Colne should have won this match comfortably.

And it appeared that the Reds had the result sewn up when they shot into a two-goal lead in the first 25 minutes.

Nathan Taylor had an immediate influence on the game, and in the opening minutes Mark Coyne and Ashley Carter combined to create a chance which Taylor blasted over the crossbar.

But on 20 minutes Taylor capitalised on Wigan keeper Jason Foulds’ first poor touch, and he raced in to pinch the ball off his toes before tapping into an empty net.

Five minutes later Taylor increased Colne’s lead when Foulds came to collect a cross, but the ball deflected over him off a defender’s head and Taylor nipped in to fire home at the back post.

Shortly after Tom Fowler could have added a third, but he was unfortunate to see his header rebound off the crossbar.

Then just before the break Taylor became provider when he set up a chance for Jason Hart but, after a good turn, his shot was blocked by a defender.

Colne made a poor start to the second period, dropping deeper and deeper as Wigan pushed on, determined to get back into the game.

It soon became apparent that it was only going to be a matter of time before the Reds would concede and give Wigan a chance of salvaging a point.

And the inevitable goal came just eight minutes in when Ryan Small was given the time and space to rifle a shot into the bottom corner of the net.

Ten minutes later Wigan drew level when Colne lost possession in the midfield and the ball was crossed to the back post where Richard Livingston tapped home.

The goal came as a wake-up call for the Reds, and 10 minutes later they were back in the lead when Taylor raced clear down the right before picking out Hart with a pin-point cross, and he blasted home from close range.

But with just minutes remaining Colne failed to clear a cross into the area and the ball dropped kindly to Phil Howard who bundled the ball over the line without a challenge.

So after leading for the majority of the game the Reds were left disappointed with the result and their overall performance.

Tomorrow Colne will be hopeful of getting back to winning ways when they travel to Stone Dominoes before entertaining Bacup at the XLCR Stadium on Tuesday evening.