Colne 1, AFC Liverpool 2

OPENER: Mark Threlfall
OPENER: Mark Threlfall

Colne squandered a bag full of chances on Saturday at the XLCR Stadium against AFC Liverpool.

The Reds should have had the game sewn up in a purple patch in the first half, but instead paid the price as they allowed Liverpool to come back strongly later in the game.

The visitors looked dangerous in the opening minutes with the advantage of a strong wind behind them and Anthony Brown saw his high cross bounce off the top of the Colne crossbar.

But Colne soon got into their stride and after Ashley Higgins had made one good break, Mark Threlfall gave them the lead on 11 minutes with a good finish from inside the penalty area.

Colne pressed home their advantage with a series of attacks that had Liverpool on the ropes.

Threlfall looked sure to get his second goal as he rounded the keeper, but then stood on the ball and allowed a defender to get back to clear.

Two minutes later, Dominic Craig had a clear sight of goal but keeper Leon Bimpson got down well to block his shot at point blank range.

After 18 minutes, Bimpson was left stranded as Andy Tinker’s low cross reached Mark Coyne in the goalmouth, but he somehow managed to lift his shot over the bar from only a yard out.

And three minutes later, Coyne’s cross was headed over the bar by Threlfall from another good chance.

Having survived the onslaught relatively unscathed, Liverpool looked to hit back on the counter attack and Chris Thompson did well to keep out Muktar Mahama’s shot after 27 minutes.

But Thompson was beaten after 40 minutes when Steve Jones lobbed the ball over him for the visitors’ equaliser from another good breakaway.

Colne still looked favourites with the conditions in their favour in the second half but Tinker’s cross was headed over the bar by Coyne and Sam Hayes’ diagonal shot drifted wide of the far post.

But Liverpool counter attacked well with some good end-to-end moves, and Thompson did well with a vital tackle at the feet of Jones after Michael McGre found him in the home penalty area.

Craig beat several defenders on the edge of the visitors’ area before setting up Threlfall for a shot that whistled inches wide of the top corner.

But, as Colne pressed forward, Liverpool punished them with a breakaway on 82 minutes.

McGre raced clear of the home defence and despite claims for off-side, slotted the ball into the bottom corner of the net to take all three points for the visitors.

Colne are at home on Saturday when they welcome Runcorn Linnets to the XLCR Stadium, kick-off 3 p.m.