Colne are pegged back

CHANCE: Jason Hart
CHANCE: Jason Hart

COLNE picked up a point on their travels at Glossop on Saturday, after taking a second-half lead through Krystian Evans.

Although it was a lovely spring day, the pitch conditions were not conducive to good football as the ball bobbled around on the tricky surface, causing problems for attackers and defenders alike.

On 10 minutes Jason Hart’s pace took him clear, but the ball took a bad bounce and flew just over the bar.

Carl Ellerton and James Crorken then combined to release Ashley Carter down the left, but his cross failed to find any of his team mates.

The nearest Colne came to opening the scoring was when Steven Mercer’s header from a corner kick flew narrowly wide of the near post.

Mark Coyne and Bill Williams also came close with headers from corners, but they could only watch as their efforts were cleared off the line.

Just before half-time Crorken showed good feet down the right to skip past two defenders and pick out Hart at the far post, but his shot nestled into the side netting.

Minutes later Evans combined with Hart, who struck a good shot which was deflected for a corner.

So at half-time the play had been end to end but few real chances had been created.

Colne began the second half well. In the second minute Evans won the ball in a challenge, and after a good run he unleashed a shot which flew like a rocket just over the crossbar.

This was just a sign of things to come because minutes later Evans repeated the scene, but this time his shot kept low, and although the keeper got a hand to it, he just could not keep it out of the bottom corner of the net.

Danny Bryan was now combining well with Evans and Crorken, but twice his efforts were deflected for corners.

Then with half an hour remaining, Glossop drew level after they were awarded a soft penalty, and Nicholas Allan stepped up to drill the ball into the bottom corner.

Both teams then raised their games in search of a winning goal, which made for good entertainment in the dying stages.

Carter and Coyne came close for Colne, while Mehmet and Hirst were denied by the safe hands of Colne’s Thompson.

With five minutes remaining, Hart broke through the Glossop defence, but with only the keeper to beat he elected to pull back the ball for his team mates when a shot looked like a better option.

In the end a draw was a fair result but Colne will be looking for a better result tomorrow when they entertain bottom club Stone Dominoes at the XLCR Stadium.

They then travel to Silsden on Wednesday, kick-off 7-45 p.m.