Colne are the early league pacesetters

Spencer Jordan puts Colne in front at Maine Road on Tuesday night (s).
Spencer Jordan puts Colne in front at Maine Road on Tuesday night (s).
Share this article

Colne started the NWC Premier Division season with a bang with six points from six.

On Saturday, the Reds thumped Winsford United 6-2, with Jay Hart netting four goals, before coming from behind to win 3-1 at Maine Road on Monday night.

At Maine Road, Stuart Cross in the Reds goal was called upon to make some good early saves.

Colne soon got their attack into gear and should have taken the lead when Hart and Kenny Taylor combined for Spencer Jordan, but Maine Road keeper Ryan Livesey blocked his close range shot.

The hosts took the lead midway through the first half when Josh Harper pulled the ball back for Connor Hughes on the edge of the area, and the striker made no mistake with a shot into the roof of the net.

But eight minutes before the break, Andy Tinker supplied a telling cross into the goalmouth and Danny Boyle headed home at the second attempt to level matters.

Spencer Jordan gave the Reds the lead just two minutes later when he found the top corner of the net with a firmly struck curling shot.

As the second half began, Colne again pushed forward and as Jordan got past the home defence, he was brought down by Jonathan Mason, and Hart blasted home the spot kick to put Colne 3-1 up.

Maine Road came back strongly but could not find a way past the resolute Colne defence.

On Saturday, Colne hit six in their seasonal opener.

The Reds took the lead after only eight minutes when a precise through ball by Jordan released Jason Hart into the area and he rounded keeper Ben Proctor before slotting the ball into the vacant net.

But Colne’s lead lasted just three minutes as James Rothwell took full advantage of a 20-yard free kick, curling the ball just inside the post.

The visitors took the initiative and enjoyed a good period when they tested the Colne defence, in which Michael Morrison was outstanding.

With half-time approaching, the Reds began to push forward once again and when Ben Hoskin’s cross was headed down by Jordan, Hart blasted just over.

But a great interchange of passes inside the area, started by Hart and continued by Jordan, allowed Boyle to fire home from close range to give Colne the lead on 43 minutes.

And on the stroke of half time, Hart stretched their lead with a cool sidefoot from 20 yards into the bottom corner of the net, after Jordan’s run had the defence back pedalling.

As the second half began, the Reds again pushed forward, and with only two minutes gone, Kenny Taylor, making his league debut, added their fourth goal with an angled shot into the far corner.

Colne went further ahead after 55 minutes when Hart cut inside from the left wing and scored with a low shot to complete his hat-trick.

Seven minutes later, Hart made it 6-1 with his fourth goal when he fired home after Proctor had parried a shot in his goalmouth.

In the closing stages of the game, Winsford looked for a consolation goal and Chris Lunn came close when he fired wide after making himself a good chance.

But Lunn made amends after 85 minutes when he forced the ball home from close range in a crowded goalmouth to complete the scoring.

Tomorrow, Colne travel to Barnoldswick Town in the FA Cup, and provided a replay is not required, they will face AFC Darwen at the XLCR Stadium on Tuesday evening in the league, with a 7-45 p.m. kick-off.