Colne back on track

CHANCE: Kristian Evans
CHANCE: Kristian Evans
Share this article

COLNE picked up two handsome wins over the week to put a halt to a disappointing run of results which had seen them drop from third to eighth, after taking eight points from as many games.

On Saturday the Reds hosted bottom club Stone Dominoes, winning 5-1, before recording a 4-1 victory at Silsden on Wednesday night.

Against Stone, Colne’s determination became apparent in the opening minutes after Ashley Carter opened up the Dominoes defence with a penetrating run, and then Bill Williams came close with a towering header from a corner.

On 10 minutes Kristian Evans was first to react to a Jason Hart free kick and he was only denied by a good save by Jake Ratcliffe.

The only threat by the Dominoes came on 20 minutes when Luke Robinson broke free down the left but blasted high over the crossbar.

Then a minute later Colne took the lead after Ed O’Neill and Evans combined well to free Jason Hart through the middle and he made no mistake as he blasted home past the helpless Ratcliffe.

On the half hour Scott Moore released Hart down the right but this time he was unfortunate to see his shot hit the inside of the post and rebound to safety.

Chris Thompson then came to Colne’s rescue with a brilliant save from a good effort by Dwayne Spence before Evans drilled the ball past Ratcliffe after a period of pressure to deservedly increase Colne’s lead.

With five minutes of the first half remaining, Mickey Saunders made it three when he was released by Mark Coyne and then steadied himself before firing into the far corner.

In the second half Colne continued from where they had left off. Evans and Hart created chances for each other after promptings by Carter and Coyne.

And just 10 minutes into the half Carl Ellerton played a one two with Carter, who burst into the area and curled his shot inside the near post with the outside of his boot to make it four.

Then five minutes later Thompson made another great save when he had to change direction in mid-air to tip over a shot which took a wicked deflection.

But by this stage the result was beyond doubt even though the Dominoes did manage a consolation goal from Spence with 10 minutes remaining.

And just to reinforce their superiority Colne made it five after good work by Coyne created a simple finish for Carter to crown an excellent personal performance.

Colne made it nine goals and six points in five days with a hard-fought win at Silsden on Wednesday night.

The Reds were made to battle for the three points by the Yorkshire side who were in the lower half of the table, especially after Hart was sent off in the second half.

The home side carved out some dangerous attacks in the opening stages but wayward finishing and some good goalkeeping by Thompson prevented them from opening the scoring. Colne eased their way into the game with O’Neill supplying some good crosses into the Silsden area looking for the head of Evans up front.

The Reds made the breakthrough after 14 minutes when Carter beat the Silsden off-side trap with a break on the left wing and made a diagonal run towards goal before finishing with a firm low shot past the keeper.

Five minutes later, Colne doubled their lead from a Hart free kick when Evans rose high in the penalty area to nod the ball home. The score should have increased further within a minute when Hart broke clear of the home defence but took the ball too far and saw his eventual shot blocked at the near post by keeper Ed Hall.

On the half hour, Mark Coyne was unlucky to see his header fly over the bar from Hart’s corner kick but, at the other end, the Reds defence was stretched when James Hedges chested the ball down for Michael Garrod, who forced a great save from Thompson with his close range shot.

Five minutes before half-time, a great diagonal ball by Carter found O’Neill on the right and his low cross was bundled into the net by Hart to put Colne three goals ahead at the interval.

Three minutes into the second half, Silsden pulled a goal back when Kevin Ryan turned in a cross from the left wing to score from close range.

Silsden enjoyed a period of possession but after 58 minutes, Hart picked up the ball in midfield and after finding Carter with his pass, raced through for the return ball and easily beat the keeper with his shot for Colne’s fourth goal.

Jimmy Crorken and Saunders prompted the attack as the Reds looked for more goals but after 70 minutes, Colne were shocked when Hart got a straight red card for his remarks to the linesman and was sent off.

Silsden pushed forward in the remainder of the game but the Reds defence stood firm with Williams, Scott Moore and Carl Ellerton making a series of good challenges. And Colne should have added a fifth goal on 85 minutes when Carter’s run and reverse pass gave Dominic Craig a golden opportunity but he lifted his shot over the bar.

Admission to tomorrow’s game at home to Stockport Sports (kick-off 3 p.m.) is free for everyone in an effort to attract new supporters. Colne then travel to Bacup next Wednesday (kick-off 7-45 p.m.).

On Saturday, Colne’s reserves went down 5-1 at Burscough Reserves.

Colne fell behind after 40 seconds in Burscough’s first attack, and were 2-0 down within 12 minutes.

Colne gradually gained a foothold in the game, but captain Nathan Gibson had to make a goalline clearance to prevent a third goal.

Burscough sealed the win after the break with a third goal before adding a fourth four minutes from time.

Colne showed a measure of resolve when only a minute later a free kick into the area resulted in a Sam Halstead flick on and Gibson side footed into the corner of the net.

However Burscough scored a fifth from the restart.

Colne host Workington on Monday, kick-off 8 p.m.