Colne build on victory

editorial image
Share this article

colne built on their impressive win over high-flying AFC Blackpool in midweek with another three points on Saturday.

The game began in a frantic fashion with chances being created at both ends of the pitch.

The first chance fell to Glossop as early as the second minute when Ben Connolly headed a cross onto the top of the crossbar.

Minutes later Dominic Craig powered his way down the left and was only stopped by a foul on the edge of the area.

Colne opened the scoring when the free kick was floated into the box by Jason Hart and the ball was glanced into the far corner past keeper Ben Proctor by James Crorken, who had ghosted in from the back post.

But minutes later Glossop had Proctor to thank for a brilliant save from Hart’s well-struck volley.

Dean McGregor then came close for Glossop when he capitalised on a defensive error, only to be denied by a good save by Chris Thompson.

The Reds continued to exert pressure on the Glossop back four and Mark Coyne was unfortunate to see his header fly over the bar.

Then on 13 minutes Colne increased their lead when Hart chipped the ball over the defenders and Paul Fildes (pictured scoring) lunged to poke the ball past Proctor into the near corner.

One minute later Glossop reduced Colne’s lead when McGregor benefited from a mix-up in defence and slotted home into the far corner.

There followed a few minutes of absolute chaos in the Glossop area when the ball was cleared off the line three times and then incredibly twice hit the crossbar.

The last part of the half saw Hart denied by a great save by Proctor, and Crorken and Fildes unfortunate not to add to their tally.

In the second half Thompson was in early action, first clearing with his feet and then saving from an unchallenged header.

Glossop continued to press forward in search of an equaliser, but Tom Fowler and Danny Gleave stood firm in the centre of the defence, and Anthony McLoughlin and Coyne worked tirelessly in the midfield while Scott Moore stuck tight to the dangerous Connolly.

On 60 minutes the Reds came close to increasing their lead when Bailey’s cross to Hart was volleyed narrowly wide and then Coyne toed a cross over the bar.

On 70 minutes Fildes jinked his way past two defenders but was brought down just outside the penalty area.

Crorken’s ensuing free kick appeared to deceive everyone but was cleared off the line at the last minute.

Paddy O’Brien was then introduced into the contest and he was to have an immediate influence when his great cross picked out Hart, who got across the keeper and powered his header into the roof of the net to assure Colne of a well-deserved result.

The Reds’ trip to Bacup Borough on Wednesday was postponed, and they host Bottesford Town in the FA Carlsberg Vase second qualifying round on Saturday, kick-off 3 p.m.

FINAL SCORE: Colne, Glossop North End 1