Colne claim fourth win on the bounce as Admirals pick up crucial point

Alex Curran opened the scoring for Colne
Alex Curran opened the scoring for Colne
Share this article

Colne got their fourth win in a row as they saw off the challenge of a strong Droylsden side at the Utility Renewals Stadium on Saturday.

Two goals from their midfield star Alex Curran and one for recent signing Connor Hughes were enough to complete a well deserved victory in a hard fought game.

In the opening stages, it was Droylsden who started the stronger, playing with the wind at their backs and Colne keeper Hakan Burton was in action in the first minute to push a shot by Liam Caddick against the post before claiming the rebound.

After 23 minutes, Colne hit back with a devastatingly simple move when Lee Pugh’s diagonal through ball from the left back position released Curran for a run through the middle and he fired home past visiting keeper Ritchie Bramagan to give the Reds the lead.

At the other end, Droylsden stretched the Reds’ defence with a series of chances but found Burton in great form and Sefton Gonzales lifted his shot over the bar from close range just before the interval when an equaliser looked likely.

Early in the second half Colne doubled their lead when a cross from the right wing was returned into the middle by Bradley Knox and Curran applied the finishing touch from close range. On the hour, the visitors went close when Caddick’s header struck the post before the loose ball was scrambled clear from the Reds goalmouth.

And the visitors pulled a goal back after 68 minutes when Steve Hall found the net with a shot through a crowded Colne area after good blocks by Chris Lynch and Alex Coleman.

The hosts looked to restore their two-goal cushion and Harry Pratt headed just over the bar at the far post from Matty Morgan’s corner.

But Colne made the game safe after 85 minutes when Knox’s powerful run in from the right wing provided a low cross for Hughes to turn in at the near post for the home side’s third


The winning run in January has owed as much to the defence and their resilience to withstand periods of pressure in every game while the team itself has never lost belief and taken their chances to come out on top thanks to their talented young players.

Colne FC 3, Droylsden 1

Nelson claimed a crucial point in their bid for survival in the Hallmark Security First Division as they scored late on against St Helens Town at Ruskin Drive.

The Admirals are still rooted to the foot of the table having accrued 13 points from 23 games but Chris Turner’s second goal of the afternoon ensured they still have a fighting chance of beating the drop.

The Blues remain six points short of the Merseysiders but they have three games in hand on their rivals as they look to climb out of the bottom two.

The hosts had the first chance after seven minutes when Alexander Grice gifted Liam Diggle possession inside the area but goalkeeper Marcel Wusiewicz came out on top with a good save before Luke Edwards fired the rebound over the bar.

It was quickly becoming a busy afternoon for Admirals skipper Wusiewicz as the Burnley loan man produced a smart save to keep out Diggle.

The home side were made to pay for their profligacy just after the half-hour mark as Nelson scored with their first real attempt on goal.

Town forward Thomas Grimshaw was guilty of conceding a free-kick on the edge of the box and, before Kevin De Bruyne had received high praise for his set-piece against Cardiff City in the FA Cup, Turner fired the ball under the wall and in to the net.

The hosts could and should have been level before the interval but it was Diggle once again who was wasteful in front of goal.

Luke Edwards but the ball on a plate for the winger with a cross from the left hand side but he somehow glanced his header against the bar from two yards out.

Diggle hit the woodwork again after the break, as Wusiewicz pushed his header against the upright, but they levelled on the hour when Edwards converted from the edge of the penalty area.

And they turned the game on its head in the 72nd minute when midfielder Andy Presho beat Wusiewicz to Edwards’s free kick to head the ball home.

After Nelson’s Daniel Mort had his effort chalked off for offside, the away side found their equaliser with less than 10 minutes remaining.

Turner obliged with a carbon copy of his opener as he fed the ball underneath the wall from a free kick 25 yards out which crept inside the post to make it 2-2.

St Helens Town 2, Nelson 2