Colne come from behind to snatch points at Padiham

Colne FC: Jason Hart.
Colne FC: Jason Hart.
Share this article

Colne came from a goal behind to snatch the points in a dramatic finale at Padiham on Wednesday night.

It looked as though the Storks were heading for a win, but the Reds finally found their scoring touch and banged in three goals to break Padiham hearts.

Danny Boyle scored three times over the week - against Abbey Hey and Padiham

Danny Boyle scored three times over the week - against Abbey Hey and Padiham

In a promising first half, Colne had the lion’s share of the possession, creating some good chances.

Jason Hart blasted high over the bar, and Kieran Demaine was similarly off target with another good chance.

Further attacks broke down against a resolute Padiham defence and just before half-time the Storks threatened, with Kieran Pickup pulling a good shot across goal.

After the break, Colne continued to attack through the middle but the Storks went ahead after 69 minutes when a free kick from Chris Turner found the net with a deflected shot that left Chris Thompson wrong-footed.

Ten minutes later, the Reds were awarded a penalty when substitute and former Padiham striker Ben Allen was pushed from behind and another former Stork Danny Boyle fired the spot kick into the bottom corner.

Colne went ahead when Boyle opened up the Storks defence for Kenny Taylor to strike an angled shot into the corner of the net off the fingertips of keeper Sean Davis.

And in the closing minutes, Spencer Jordan slipped past the defender on the right and laid theball back for Boyle to slot home Colne’s third goal.

Colne fought out a hard-earned 1-1 draw against an enterprising Abbey Hey team at the XLCR Stadium on Saturday.

Chances were few and faThe Reds took the lead after 62 minutes when Danny Boyle left a posse of defenders in his wake as he burst into the area and chipped the keeper.

But after 82 minutes, a free kick for Abbey Hey out on the right wing gave Sam Freakes the opportunity to swerve the ball over everyone and into the far top corner to level the scores.

Even though Abbey Hey were reduced to 10 men when Kiano Samms was sent off after the goal, the Reds could not find a winner and a draw was a fair result.

Colne travel to Consett in the first qualifying round of the FA Cup tomorrow and will be at home to Nelson on Wednesday, barring a replay.

l Colne’s Jay Hart has been named Premier Division player of the month for August.

Hart hit seven goals in six games, including four in Colne’s opening day 6-2 win over Winsford United.