Colne crash out of the FA Vase

GOAL: Paul Fildes
GOAL: Paul Fildes
Share this article

COLNE crashed out of the FA Vase after failing to convert a bagful of chances against Bottesford Town on Saturday.

The Reds got off to a flying start when Paul Fildes (pictured) gave them the lead with a well-placed shot into the bottom corner of the net after only five minutes.

Four minutes later, Bottesford keeper Robert Zand made a good save to push Fildes’ free kick round the post as Colne looked for a second goal. And as the Reds continued to dominate, Mark Coyne blasted a volley inches over the bar.

But despite Colne having most of the possession, their defence looked vulnerable and the visitors drew level after 27 minutes when Danny Boulton raced clear on a through ball and fired past the advancing Chris Thompson to level at 1-1.

The Reds continued to press forward and won a series of free kicks just outside the area but failed to take advantage from these situations. And as Bottesford counterattacked through Marc La Rocca, Thomas Fowler and Scott Moore needed to make good clearances.

Just before half-time, Jimmy Crorken should have restored Colne’s lead but saw his shot blocked by the keeper at point blank range. And two minutes into the second half, Jason Hart saw his shot cleared off the line when he followed up on Fildes’ strike. Further chances followed and Hart forced a great save from the keeper before Dominic Craig blasted a shot just over the bar.

But Bottesford took the lead after 55 minutes when Dale Hutson forced his way through several tackles in midfield and released Boulton on the right wing, whose cross was headed home by La Rocca at the far post.

Colne once again piled on the pressure with Fildes and Hart creating the danger, and manager Nigel Coates sent on all three substitutes on 68 minutes in an effort to make the breakthrough. Kieran Demaine’s lob was pushed over the bar by Zand, and from the corner, the keeper made a great save to keep out Coyne’s header.

Bottesford might have scored on the break when Chris Grath shot wide from a clear opening and Danny Gibbons forced a great save from Chris Thompson.

But the Reds pushed forward till the end and Zand made great saves to turn Paddy O’Brien’s shot over the bar and keep out Micky Saunders’ shot in the closing minutes.

Colne are at home tomorrow to Alsager Town in the North West Counties League (kick-off 3 p.m.) and on Tuesday night they travel to Padiham (kick-off 7-45 p.m.) in the Lancashire Co-operative Trophy.

FINAL SCORE: Colne 1, Bottesford Town 2

Colne Reserves came from behind twice to snatch the points in injury time on Monday night at the XLCR Stadium.

Kendal Town started the stronger and it was no surprise when they took the lead after 13 minutes. Jake Routledge was put through by an excellent pass and finished well with a diagonal shot into the far corner of the net.

The goal stung Colne into action and nine minutes later Daniel Russell was upended as he made his run into the opposing penalty area. Luke McVarish fired home the spot kick to level the scores at 1-1.

But Kendal came back strongly and after Daniel Oates had made a good save from Jonathan McDonald’s shot, they regained the lead when Routledge intercepted a back-pass and fired past Oates in a one-on-one.

With half-time approaching, Dave Blacklock saw his looping header cleared off the line as the Reds pressed for an equaliser.

In the second half, Jack Alderson joined the attack and had series of shots blocked in the Kendal goalmouth. The pressure paid off when Colne were awarded a free kick on the edge of the area after 65 minutes and Ryan Brereton found the net with a well placed shot to level the scores at 2-2.

Tom McDonough made a great tackle to prevent Routledge breaking clear as he threatened to restore Kendal’s lead on the break.

Colne stepped up the pace despite the monsoon-like conditions but the visitors survived thanks to some desperate defending in their goalmouth. Nathan Gibson blasted a shot inches past the post after a great run and Alderson was denied when the keeper dived at his feet in the penalty area.

And as the game went into injury time, Colne cashed in on a mistake by the visitors’ defence when Russell picked up a misplaced cross-field pass and swept the ball home at the far post for the Reds winner.

Colne reserves are in action next Thursday when they welcome AFC Fylde Reserves to the XLCR Stadium (kick-off 7-45 p.m.).

FINAL SCORE: Colne Reserves 3, Kendal Town Reserves 2