Colne ease to derby victory over Barnoldswick Town

ON THE CHARGE: Aaron Hollindrake drives at the Colne defence
ON THE CHARGE: Aaron Hollindrake drives at the Colne defence
Share this article

FOUR second half goals gave colne the derby spoils on Tuesday night at the Silentnight Beds Stadium.

On a cold clear night, around 150 locals turned out to watch the return fixture of the derby with local rivals Colne, which had ended in February with a narrow victory for Barnoldswick with a goal in the dying minutes.

battle for the ball.

battle for the ball.

In the opening stages of this game, most of the play was concentrated in the Colne half of the pitch, but the Reds always looked dangerous on the break.

On 10 minutes there were signs of things to come later in the game when Ashley Carter combined with Jason Hart to create a shooting opportunity for Dominic Craig, but the shot flew just wide of the mark.

As the game progressed, Colne gradually started to come more into contention as the game swung from end to end.

Although Barnoldswick had an equal share of the possession, their confidence was obviously low after a poor run of results, while Colne began to up the tempo of their game with their short, sharp passing and quick movement off the ball, and as half-time approached, the Reds looked the more likely to open the scoring.

And in the second half the point was proved as they produced one of their best displays of the season.

From the very first kick of the half Colne looked more determined and hungry to secure a convincing victory.

In the first minute Kristian Evans used his physique to win a challenge and play in Mark Coyne, but the ball ran out of play.

But on 53 minutes Colne took a deserved lead when Evans put Barnoldswick keeper Billy Carrington under pressure from a cross which he was only able to knock down to Hart, who calmly bent his shot into the bottom corner of the Barnoldswick goal.

Five minutes later Colne made it 2-0 when Craig was brought down in the area by Carrington and Hart stepped up to convert the resulting penalty.

By this stage Barnoldswick’s discipline had completely gone, and when Hart played in Evans, his header was only denied by the underside of the crossbar.

With 15 minutes remaining, Craig burst through the defence once more, but his shot took a ricochet which landed at the feet of Ben Hoskin, who calmly stroked the ball into the far corner.

Then with 10 minutes left Colne made the result certain when Carter intercepted a poor clearance and knocked the ball to the far post, where Evans gratefully blasted the ball unchallenged into the roof of the net.

The result was well deserved after a convincing performance and continues Colne’s good run of recent results.

Colne’s home clash with AFC Liverpool on Saturday was postponed due to a snowbound pitch.

Barnoldswick Town were due to host Bootle last night before a trip to Alsager Town tomorrow.

Colne are at home to Squires Gate tomorrow.