Colne edge through to next round of cup

editorial image
Share this article

COLNE squeezed through to the next round of the LFA Co-Operative Trophy with a single goal win over Holker Old Boys at the XLCR Stadium on Tuesday night.

The Reds had beaten the same opponents in the FA Vase a week previously, but Colne were made to work hard to create any chances.

Sam Hayes prompted some good attacks, and Dominic Craig supplied some excellent crosses to the far post. But Colne’s finishing failed to trouble the visitors’ keeper.

In the second half, Colne began to pass the ball about and construct some promising moves. When Bright Maduka was chopped down on the edge of the area, his free kick was blocked in the goalmouth, and Andy Tinker’s follow-up was deflected for a corner.

But a good break by speedy winger James Bonner at the other end won Holker a corner, and Andy Moore did well to prevent central defender Capstick from heading home.

Colne created the majority of the chances but good crosses into the goalmouth by Danny Boyle and Jimmy Crorken were not converted. Colne’s best effort came on 71 minutes when Billy Priestley’s (pictured) powerful close range header was turned over the bar by keeper Morsby.

Ten minutes later, Priestley’s pass released Hayes, and his cross was chested down by Liam Goggin at the far post before he fired home.

In a tight game the Reds were content to play out time with some possession football, but Holker’s Gareth Smith came close to an equaliser with a well-struck free kick just wide in the closing minutes.

FINAL SCORE: Colne 1, Holker Old Boys 0

COLNE fell to a single goal in a closely-fought game at Blackpool on Saturday.

The Reds started brightly and controlled most of the first half hour.

After 10 minutes Bright Maduka robbed central defender Kevin Ford and fed Andy Tinker, but his cross was too strong for Danny Boyle at the far post. But, as play switched to the other end, Blackpool striker Niall Cummings picked up a loose back pass and was only denied by a strong clearance by Michael Cruz.

Colne pushed forward but Maduka’s curling shot after 23 minutes came back off the bar with the keeper beaten. The Reds again came close after 32 minutes when Boyle started and finished an end-to-end move involving Maduka but his shot was just over the bar.

With half-time approaching, Blackpool had a series of corners, but Andy Moore and the Colne defence kept them out.

Seven minutes after half-time Colne fell behind when Ben Waddington opened up their defence with a left wing run and scored with a low shot inside the near post.

And with that lead, the Blackpool defence proved difficult to break down. Joe Garvin saw his inswinging corner palmed away from under the bar, and Stansfield’s follow-up shot was blocked on the line after 70 minutes.

Five minutes later, as Colne laid siege to the Blackpool goal, they looked to have got the equaliser when Billy Priestley headed home Garvin’s cross, but the goal was ruled out by the assistant’s flag for pushing.

Colne now have two home League games, against Congleton Town tomorrow (3 p.m.) and Ramsbottom United on Tuesday (7-45 p.m.).

FINAL SCORE: AFC Blackpool 1, Colne 0