Colne enjoy superb week with wins at Runcorn and Bacup

Treble blast: Tom Berwick hit a hat-trick as Colne won at leaders Runcorn Linnets on Saturday
Treble blast: Tom Berwick hit a hat-trick as Colne won at leaders Runcorn Linnets on Saturday
Share this article

Colne made it three wins in a row on Wednesday night with a 2-1 success at Bacup and Rossendale Borough - four days after beating leaders Runcorn Linnets 4-3 in a thriller.

At Bacup, the Reds were without prolific goal scorer Tom Berwick - who scored a hat-trick on Saturday - and defender Adam Stockdale as they faced Brent Peters’ side, who were fighting to get away from the relegation zone.

Colne took the lead after 14 minutes when Jason Hart’s free kick from the left was cleared to Chris Anderson, who blasted a 30-yard shot just inside the post.

And the Reds doubled their lead on the half hour when Andy Tinker struck a powerful shot from just outside the area, which deflected off a defender and looped into the net with Kieran O’Boyle stranded.

Early in the second half, Bacup were awarded a penalty when Lee Oldham was pushed down from behind in the area as he challenged for a high cross.

Matthew Bryan took the spot kick and saw it rebound off the bar, and when the Colne defence failed to clear the loose ball, Bryan who blasted it into the roof of the net to give Bacup a lifeline.

Colne had chances to restore their two-goal lead, but Bacup came back strongly in the closing stages.

However, the Reds defence coped well under pressure and ran out worthy winners.

On Saturday, Colne snatched the points with a dramatic late winner at Runcorn Linnets.

Colne took a shock lead after only five minutes when Berwick spotted the keeper off his line and found the net with a 30-yard lob.

Colne increased their lead after 22 minutes when a through ball from Berwick allowed Hart to hold off a defender before shooting past Andy Robertson.

Runcorn reduced the arrears when Adam Wade fired home a low shot after an almighty scramble on 28 minutes.

But on the half hour, Colne regained their two-goal advantage in controversial circumstances when Berwick’s diagonal pass bounced just inside the post with the Linnet’s defence appealing for off-side against Mark Coyne.

Linnets were then reduced to 10 men when Anthony Hickey was sent off for his second yellow card.

Runcorn were fired up for the second half and were awarded a penalty in another goalmouth scramble after 50 minutes, which Mark Houghton converted.

And after 57 minutes, it was Warren Bellew curled the ball to the far post for Houghton to head in the equaliser at 3-3.

But at the death, Coyne got to the bye-line and his cross to the far post was knocked home by Berwick.

Tomorrow Colne host Norton United (3 p.m.) before the derby at Barnoldswick Town onTuesday (7-45 p.m.).