Colne get off mark as Anderson goal sees off Bacup

Match winner: Chris Anderson scored the only goal to beat Bacup on Tuesday night
Match winner: Chris Anderson scored the only goal to beat Bacup on Tuesday night

Colne bounced back from their opening day setback at Winsford with a well deserved win in an action-packed game against Bacup and Rossendale Borough at the XLCR Stadium on Tuesday night.

The opening exchanges saw some end-to-end play with Jason Hart making some good runs up front for Colne, and Jonathan Hodgkinson making a good defensive clearance from Adrian Bellamy’s dangerous cross.

The real drama began after 25 minutes when Chris Bailey’s cross from the left wing forced Lee Oldham into a diving header towards his own goal and Bacup keeper Jack McGregor did well to palm the ball away into the path of Hart. But Hart’s follow-up shot came back off the post and into the hands of the fortunate keeper.

As Colne stepped up the attacks, McGregor saved Bailey’s angled shot under his bar and was relieved to grasp Danny Boyle’s shot that almost sneaked in the bottom corner from Simon Nangle’s free kick.

As half time approached, Bacup’s Sam Crook hit a diagonal shot that dipped just past the far post.

But as the half went into added time, the Reds took the lead when Andy Tinker’s cross from the left was headed down into the bottom corner of the net by Chris Anderson.

Early in the second half, Colne pressed forward looking to stretch their lead.

Tinker saw his curling shot come back off the bar after 70 minutes and five minutes later, Luke Thompson’s long ball forward bounced against the bar with Brandon Barski challenging McGregor.

Colne again struck the woodwork in the closing minutes when Nangle fired a free kick against the bar, but one goal proved enough.

On Saturday, Colne’s over-eagerness cost them dearly when they went down to a 2-0 defeat at Winsford United.

Nangle’s tackle after only three minutes was deemed worthy of a red card and Colne were reduced to 10 men.

The hosts went ahead after the break when a late tackle presented Winsford with a penalty and Kyle Riley fired home the spot kick.

Eight minutes later they doubled their lead when a deflected cross looped to the far post where Danny Egan side-footed home.

After 70 minutes, Luke Thompson’s reckless challenge earned him a straight red card from the referee and Colne went down to nine men, and there was no way back.