Colne held by rivals Padiham

Colne's Jason Hart on the run.
Colne's Jason Hart on the run.
Share this article

THIS top of the table derby was eventually played at the third time of asking on Tuesday night after cancellations due to adverse weather conditions.

Both teams made a nervous start which was to be expected with both sides in the chase for promotion.

The first chance fell to Padiham in the first few minutes when former Red Joe Garvin’s free kick was met at the far post by Liam Foster, but he was closed down quickly and denied an effort on goal.

At the other end Jason Hart (pictured) showed his pace several times but he could not shake off the attention of Jack Overson, who denied him shooting opportunities.

Then on 20 minutes after a mix-up by the Colne defence due to poor communication, Kieron Pickup looked certain to open the scoring but Chris Thompson was down quickly to his left to prevent a certain goal.

As the game progressed, Colne began to have the majority of the possession and get more into the game.

On the half hour Mark Coyne combined well with Hart, whose shot was blocked before he was fouled on the edge of the area. James Crorken gave signs of things to come with a beautifully flighted free kick, but the Padiham defence stood firm and scrambled the ball to safety.

Michael Morrison was showing great determination in midfield and winning the majority of challenges while Ashley Carter was proving a good outlet down the left.

Tom Fowler made several sorties into the Padiham goal area and came close with a header which Sean Davis plucked from under the crossbar.

Carter then combined well with Ed O’Neill but his shot flew over the bar.

And on the stroke of half-time Coyne came close but glanced his effort just wide of the near post.

So at the break honours were even and the scene was set for a competitive encounter in the second period.

Colne began the half the stronger and Dominic Craig made several surges through the Padiham midfield before, on 53 minutes, he was unceremoniously pulled down on the edge of the area.

From the resulting free kick, Crorken opened the scoring with a great curling shot over the wall and into the top corner with Davis left flat footed.

For the next five minutes Colne were rampant as they began to open up Padiham with attacks down both flanks.

But on 61 minutes the Reds were shocked when an attempted clearance took a ricochet off a defender and dropped kindly at the feet of Ben Allen, who had the simple chance of tapping home for an equaliser.

The goal lifted Padiham’s performance and now it was their turn to heap pressure on Colne’s defence. But Ben Hoskin and Scott Moore comfortably soaked up the pressure.

At the final whistle after the ebb and flow of the play a draw was probably a fair result and leaves both teams still in the hunt for the league title.

Colne are at home to fellow high-fliers Runcorn Town on Saturday, before hosting Barnoldswick Town in another derby on Tuesday night.