Colne knocked out of the FA Cup at first hurdle

Colne on the attack at Northallerton
Colne on the attack at Northallerton
Share this article

Colne went out of the FA Cup at the first hurdle after suffering a 3-0 defeat at Northallerton Town on Saturday.

And despite some enthusiastic backing from their band of travelling supporters, they rarely looked like getting anything from the game.

Northallerton took the lead after only 17 minutes.

Jonathan Hodgkinson looked to have made a good clearance, but conceded a free kick for his strong challenge just outside the Colne penalty area.

And James Muir took full advantage as he curled the ball over the defensive wall and into the net with Chris Thompson stranded.

The Reds worked hard in an effort to get into the game, but chances were few and far between.

Craig Eatock looked to get on to the end of several crosses into the box but home keeper Matt Calvert covered his area well and on the half hour, Jason Hart’s corner was deflected just over the bar off a defender’s foot.

The Northallerton attack always looked sharp with some fast build-ups on both wings and after 38 minutes, the home side doubled their lead when a corner kick was headed down in the Colne goalmouth, and although Thompson blocked the first shot, he was powerless to stop Aaron Ramsbottom’s follow-up as he fired in the rebound from close range.

Before half-time an inswinging corner from Hart was turned over the bar by Calvert as the Reds tried to reduce the arrears.

But Thompson needed to produce another great save to deny the home side after a swift counterattack.

The introduction of Ted Cockett livened Colne up in the second half but clear sights of goal were rare until Hart slipped through the home defence after 70 minutes and his well-struck shot was palmed away by Calvert but Andy Tinker was unable to take advantage of the rebound as defenders closed in.

And at the other end, Thompson saved with his feet as Colin Anderson broke clear of the Reds defence in a home attack.

With 10 minutes left, Chris Anderson was dispossessed in midfield by a heavy challenge.

And Northallerton broke away and made the game safe as Danny McLachlan fired an unstoppable shot into the top corner of the Colne net to complete the scoring and take his side through to the next round of the FA Cup.

Tomorrow Colne welcome St Helens Town to the XLCR Stadium for a 3 p.m. kick-off before travelling to Silsden on Wednesday, kick-off 7-45 p.m.