Colne lose twice in four days to slip down the table

Colne FC boss Steve Cunningham
Colne FC boss Steve Cunningham
Share this article

Colne suffered their first defeat in five games at the hands of Ossett Albion with a lacklustre display at Holt House on Saturday.

The first half was largely uneventful and it was only with the interval approaching that goalkeeper Tony Aghayere was called in to action.

The loan stopper denied Jackson Hassanyeh, palming his shot to safety to keep the game goal-less at the break.

The game burst into life eight minutes in to the second half when a corner kick was played low into the Colne goalmouth and turned in from close range by Adam Muller to give Ossett the lead.

The Reds almost hit back with their next attack but Jack Lynch’s goal-bound shot was deflected wide in a crowded goalmouth.

And minutes later, Melia saw his shot blocked by visitors’ keeper Jordan Bradshaw at the expense of a corner.

Colne’s pressure was rewarded on the hour when Lee Pugh was brought down in the area and Mark Ayres fired home the resulting penalty to level the scores at 1-1.

Pugh and Melia combined on the left to create a great opening but when the ball was half cleared, Joe Garvin blasted a shot high over the bar.

And, with five minutes left, a free kick to the far post by Hassanyeh was headed back into the Colne goalmouth where Rikki Paylor hooked a looping shot into the top corner of goal out of the reach of Aghayere to clinch all three points for the visitors.

Full time: Colne 1, Ossett Albion 2

Colne suffered their second defeat in four days at high flying Trafford on Tuesday night.

The Reds competed well early on but suffered a setback on the half hour when Ally Brown found space on the right wing and his cross was headed into the top corner of the net by Aaron Burns to give the hosts the lead.

Colne looked for an equaliser and Lee Pugh saw his angled shot fly just over the bar after good build up by Joel Melia and Michael Morrison.

As the second half began, Trafford captain Josh Granite almost headed into his own net when he cleared Melia’s shot from the goalmouth at the expense of a corner.

However, the visitors conceded a penalty in the 63rd minute when Burns burst into the Colne area and was brought down by Chris Lynch.

Burns converted the spot kick himself to double Trafford’s lead and seal victory.

Tomorrow, Colne are away at Hyde United in the Evo-Stik First Division North with kick off at 3 p.m.

Full time: Trafford 2, Colne 0