Colne maintain unbeaten form at XLCR Stadium

WELL DESERVED: Skipper Mark Coyne receives the March Player of the Month award from NWC League official Ian Williams
WELL DESERVED: Skipper Mark Coyne receives the March Player of the Month award from NWC League official Ian Williams
Share this article

Colne extended their unbeaten run to nine games over the week.

On Saturday, the Reds beat title contenders Bootle 2-1, before seeing off Ashton Athletic 3-2 on Tuesday.

On Tuesday, Colne began confidently against a team which looked nervous with the threat of relegation.

And it took only took five minutes for the Reds to open their account when Dominic Craig latched on to a loose ball and skipped past three defenders before playing in Mark Coyne, who found the bottom corner.

Then against the run of play on 18 minutes Ashton equalised when Danny Smith found space down the right flank to deliver a superb cross which was dispatched with power into the top corner by the head of Mason Ryan.

On the stroke of half-time a penalty was awarded which was converted by Gareth Grant.

However, Ashton’s lead was short-lived because, in added-on time, Colne themselves were awarded a penalty when Lee Barrett’s goal bound shot struck a hand, and Kristian Evans stepped up to blast home the spot kick.

Colne could consider themselves lucky to be on level terms at this stage, and after some stern words from manager Nigel Coates at the interval, the Reds upped the tempo in the second half and looked more lively from the start.

And minutes into the half Colne scored what proved to be the winner when Craig drove down the left wing, leaving the Ashton defence flat-footed, and then pulled back the ball from the bye-line to Barrett, who blasted home from short range.

Against Bootle, the Reds soaked up the early pressure from their high-flying opponents and gradually battled away to dominate play in the first period after a few early scares.

On the half-hour Colne got their just reward when Carl Ellerton played in Craig, whose first-time volley dipped over Dean Porter and nestled into the far corner.

But three minutes later Bootle were back on level terms when Helio Andre was given too much time and space to fire into the bottom corner.

With 20 minutes remaining, Colne scored the decider when a beautifully flighted corner dropped straight at the feet of Tom Fowler, who calmly prodded the ball home.

Tomorrow Colne are at Norton United and on Thursday they are at home to AFC Liverpool.