Colne make it three wins on the spin against Stockport Sports

Joe Garvin takes on the Stockport Sports defence
Joe Garvin takes on the Stockport Sports defence
Share this article

Colne made it three wins in a row with a first half three goal blast against Stockport Sports at the XLCR Stadium on Saturday.

The Reds got off to a great start and after pressurising the visitors defence in the opening stages, they took the lead on seven minutes when Chris Anderson fired a low shot into the bottom corner of the net after Andy Tinker and Joe Garvin had created the opening.

Most of Colne’s dangerous moves came from the left wing and Chris Bailey came close to doubling the lead after 12 minutes when his angled shot flashed just past the far post.

Minutes later, Jonathan Hodgkinson saw his firm header fly just over the bar from Jason Hart’s corner.

Hodgkinson was soon in action at the other end containing the threat of Ayoola Odoyin, Stockport’s big centre forward. And the Colne defence coped well with a series of corners as the visitors pushed forward looking for an equaliser.

The Reds had claims for a penalty waved aside after 26 minutes when Anderson was tripped in the area after winning the ball from the Stockport defenders.

But 10 minutes later, Colne doubled their lead when Garvin made room inside the penalty area before finding the net with a low angled shot.

Stockport again pressed forward and Ricky Anane had a good shot blocked by the Colne defence efore the ball was quickly worked to the other end where Danny Boyle found himself in space and chipped the ball over the keeper and into the net for the Reds third goal on 40 minutes.

With half time approaching, Stockport conceded a free kick 35 yards from goal and Garvin forced a great save from Stockport keeper Jack Cookson to turn his powerfully struck shot over the bar.

Colne looked on course for a high-scoring win and 10 minutes after the interval, Bailey was denied by Cookson in a one-on-one as he broke clear to the left of goal.

But as the half wore on, Stockport came more into the game. However, Hart was unlucky with an overhead kick that hit a team-mate in the goalmouth and he was denied again after 65 minutes when his shot was saved by Cookson’s outstretched foot.

It was a pleasing performance that promises great things for the future.

Tomorrow, Colne travel to Glossop North End (kick-off 3 p.m.)., before entertauining Squires Gate on Tuesday (7-45 p.m.).