Colne pick up three points but suffer disappointing cup exit

Micky Saunders
Micky Saunders
Share this article

Colne endured a week of mixed fortunes after a disappointing cup defeat was followed up by a sterling away win in the league.

The Reds bounced back from Saturday’s shock defeat to Darwen with a 2-0 win at Wigan Robin Park on Tuesday – their third league win in a row.

Colne started the stronger and nearly went ahead on 15 minutes when Tom Fowler steered the ball just wide.

More chances followed and on 27 minutes Daniel Russell looked certain to score when Ted Cockett’s cross reached him in front of goal but his point blank shot was blocked and the ball was cleared.

Scott Moore and Ed Williams dealt with the threat of Phil Howard, and Chris Thompson looked unbeatable in the Reds goal whenever the home side threatened.

In the second half, Craig Haynes looked to be the danger man as the home side lifted their game but it was Colne who took the lead after 59 minutes when an excellent midfield build-up gave Paddy O’Brien the opportunity to release Mickey Woodvine with a through ball and Woodvine beat the keeper with a close range shot.

As the game went into injury time, the Reds scored a second when Russell rose above the home defence and headed on a free-kick to Ben Bridson who made no mistake.

It was a spirited performance coming on the back of Colne’s shock extra time exit from the NWCFL League Challenge Cup on Saturday.

The Reds started the game favourites and Jason Hart’s good finish gave them the lead after 30 minutes.

As the second half began, Holden produced another good save to turn Hart’s free kick over his bar but as the half progressed, the game became a bruising midfield battle with Darwen looking the more dangerous in front of goal.

With three minutes left of the 90, Callum Banks got to the by line and his cross to the far post was headed home by Bobby Langford to level the scores at 1-1 and force extra time.

Eight minutes into the first period, Langford gave the home side the lead. Two minutes into the second period,Colne were unable to clear a corner and Anthony Hodges forced the ball home.

Darwen added a fourth goal after 117 minutes when Banks found himself unmarked in the penalty area to score with a low shot past Thompson.

A minute later, The Reds got a consolation goal when Ben Bridson released Micky Saunders to beat Holden with a controlled chip to reduce the arrears to 4-2.

On Saturday Colne play West Didsbury and Chorlton at home, 3pm kick off. On Wednesday, Colne are at home to Silsden 7-45pm kick off.