Colne pre-season gets off to promising start

editorial image

Colne competed well against their higher league opponents Salford City in their first pre-season friendly at the XLCR stadium on Saturday.

In a five-goal first half, Salford took the lead in the first minute when Jack Redshaw’s shot found the top corner of the net despite the efforts of Jamie Scott in the Colne goal.

Bright Maduka, making his first appearance for Colne, was brought down after 15 minutes giving Colne a penalty which Neil Stansfield converted from the spot to level the scores at 1-1.

And the Reds then took the lead just five minutes later when Matt Tindall beat defenders with his run into the penalty area and scored with a shot from the narrowest of angles.

After 25 minutes, the visitors drew level when Danny Heffernan found the Colne net with an unstoppable near post header from a corner.

Salford regained the lead on 37 minutes when Redshaw found space in the Colne penalty area to beat Scott with a well placed shot in a one-on-one

In the second half Redshaw was denied his hat-trick by some good defending by Colne while at the other end, James Crorken came closest when he saw his shot blocked in the visitors penalty area.

But Salford had the last word when Gary Salmon was brought down in the Colne box and got up to score from the spot to complete a 4-2 win for his side.

• Colne had a late change of opponents for Tuesday night’s game and welcomed Bury Amateurs to the XLCR Stadium.

Although the game was a satisfying seven-goal win for the Reds, the visitors contributed much more than that scoreline suggests and were unlucky not to be on the scoresheet themselves.

Neil Stansfield opened the scoring after four minutes with a near post header from a corner. The visitors competed well as they settled into the game but were again exposed after 33 minutes by Joe Garvin’s through ball which gave Mark Threlfall the opening to beat the keeper in a one-on-one and double Colne’s lead.

The Reds went three goals in front five minutes before the interval when Billy Priestley headed home at the far post from Garvin’s diagonal free kick.

Three minutes into the second half, Threlfall met Stansfield’s cross with a bullet header to give Colne an unassailable four-goal lead.

On the hour, Ted Cockett created the danger with a low hard cross into the goalmouth which was turned into his own net by a Bury defender under pressure from Threlfall for the Reds’ fifth goal.

Ten minutes later, Dave Blacklock saw his 20-yard shot come back off the post but Garvin had better fortune when he curled his shot into the top corner of the net in Colne’s next attack to give his side a six-goal lead.

With five minutes left, Cockett beat the keeper to a through ball and his low cross into the goalmouth was knocked home by Scott Gizon to makie it 7-0.

Tomorrow Colne travel to Darwen, before welcoming Radcliffe Borough to the XLCR Stadium on Tuesday, 7-30 a.m. kick-off.