Colne press home advantage to go through in Vase

Spencer Jordan flicks on the ball.
Spencer Jordan flicks on the ball.

Colne swept aside the challenge of Northern League side Heaton Stannington in the FA Vase with a convincing second half display at the XLCR Stadium on Saturday.

The visitors put up a good performance in the first half and the Reds had keeper Chris Thompson to thank for keeping the score sheet blank at half-time with some great saves.

Simon Nangle battles for the ball.

Simon Nangle battles for the ball.

Colne were unable to make much headway with their passing moves from midfield as Heaton defended well and limited the Reds to very few sights of goal.

The nearest Colne came was on the half hour when Jonathan Hodgkinson’s header was pushed over the bar by visiting keeper Danny Rule.

Heaton repeatedly hit Colne on the break and stretched the Reds defence with some swift attacking moves on both wings.

But Thompson was in top form and kept out several goal bound shots with some excellent saves.

Early in the second half Heaton were reduced to 10 men when Michael Creswick was sent off for his second booking.

Colne pressed home their advantage and Danny Boyle burst into the area and gave the Reds the lead with a shot from a narrow angle after 55 minutes.

Seven minutes later, Colne doubled their lead when Andy Tinker teed the ball up for Chris Anderson to hit a dipping 20-yarder into the bottom corner.

Colne were in the driving seat but Heaton still posed a threat and came close to reducing the arrears after 70 minutes from a corner when Alex Coleman cleared a header off the line.

As play swung to the other end, Brandon Barski went clear on Tinker’s through ball but pulled his left foot diagonal shot wide of the far post.

Tinker got himself on the score sheet after 78 minutes when he finished off a flowing move by Boyle and Anderson with an unstoppable left foot shot for the Reds third goal.

Thompson still needed to be alert to keep out some good chances as Heaton pushed players forward into the Colne goalmouth from set pieces.

But Tinker laid on another chance after 84 minutes when he sent Barski clear to place the ball past the visiting keeper for Colne’s fourth goal to round off an emphatic win for the Reds.

Tomorrow Colne are at Home to 1874 Northwich with a 3 p.m. kick off before travelling to the Silentnight Beds Stadium to face Barnoldswick Town on Tuesday evening, kick-off 7-45 p.m.