Colne rediscover winning touch

Chris Thompson
Chris Thompson

On Saturday Colne made their fixture against Ashton Athletic a free entry game in order to encourage support for the town’s team.

And the initiative definitely had its benefits because their highest attendance of the season so far was treated to a performance which left manager Nigel Coates proud of his players after grinding out a result with a depleted team which included three debutants.

Colne were on the back of four straight defeats while Ashton Athletic had lost only one of their last four games.

In the first quarter-of-an-hour the play was mainly concentrated in the middle of the park as the ball bobbled about on the hard surface making it difficult for the players to keep possession.

There were a few attacks at both ends but the keepers were not seriously troubled.

Then on 20 minutes Ross Dent played in Mickey Saunders down the right and he looked up before picking out Ed O’Neill at the far post who calmly tapped home to give Colne the lead.

Minutes later Colne had Chris Thompson to thank for maintaining the lead with a fingertip save from a brilliant strike by Stephen Latham.

As the game approached half-time Colne began to dominate with Dent and Mickey Woodvine dictating the play in midfield and Tom Fowler and Scott Moore snuffing out the attacks in the centre of the defence.

In the second half Richard Johnson thought he had increased Colne’s lead in the opening minutes only for the goal to be disallowed for an earlier infringement.

After this disappointment Colne appeared to be losing their grip on the game as the Athletic increased their pressure on Colne’s defence and Thompson was called into action on several occasions.

Then Jason Hart was introduced into the game and immediately he combined with Stevie Cassidy but after creating an opening his shot lacked power.

In their quest for an equaliser Ashton Athletic mounted pressure on the Reds’ defence but their shots from distance were easily dealt with by Thompson and so Colne fully deserved their victory after a display of hard teamwork and determination.

Colne’s next game is away to Squires Gate on Saturday. Kick-off 3pm.