Colne Reserves 3, Kendal Town Reserves 2

XLCR Stadium
XLCR Stadium
Share this article

COLNE Reserves came out on top in a closely fought encounter against Kendal Town Reserves in the Galaxy Lancashire League at the XLCR Stadium on Monday night.

Ben Bridson forced a good save by the visiting keeper as early as the first minute with a low shot after a corner reached him at the far post.

And Colne’s positive attacking play was rewarded after 10 minutes when Kieran Demaine’s superb through ball released Chris Walker who slotted the ball past the advancing keeper to give the Reds the lead.

Kendal looked dangerous on the attack and, after Liam Shields had flashed a shot just wide of the Colne goal, Tom Kilifin equalised with a lethal shot on the turn into the roof of the Colne net after 17 minutes.

But the Reds stunned their visitors when they restored their lead just two minutes later.

Walker side-stepped two defenders in the penalty area and curled a left-foot shot inside the far post past a helpless keeper.

As Kendal again threatened to draw level, Colne keeper James Kenyon made a vital tackle to prevent Rylen Knowles scoring when a cross reached him in the goalmouth and pulled off an excellent save when Billy Akrigg’s shot seemed destined for the bottom corner of the net.

Kendal were reduced to ten men on 39 minutes when Ben Ashcroft was sent off for an late tackle on Liam Goggin after the ball had gone.

Four minutes into the second half, the Reds increased their lead when the referee allowed the advantage after Luke McVarish was felled by a tackle from behind, and the ball ran wide to Goggin who blasted in a low diagonal shot for Colne’s third goal.

The Reds lost central defender Nathan Gibson to a strong challenge on the hour and Kendal took advantage with their second goal on 66 minutes when Kilifin broke into the area on the left and provided a low cross for Andy Bell to score from close range.

But Colne defended with determination and might even have added further goals themselves with Chris Baron and Walker coming close to grabbing a fourth goal in the end to end action.

Colne Reserves are in action on Monday evening when they are at home to Formby Reserves, kick-off 7-45 p.m.

CThe first team’s game at home to Maine Road on Saturday was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.

Tomorrow Colne have no game as Runcorn Town are involved in the FA Vase, but on Wednesday they are at Bacup Borough (kick-off 7-45 p.m.).