Colne Reserves crush Witton Albion Reserves

editorial image
Share this article

Colne Reserves 9, Witton Albion Reserves 0

Colne Reserves enjoyed a nine goal romp against Witton Albion Reserves in the Galaxy Lancashire League at the XLCR Stadium on Monday evening.

But they will count the cost as they work to restore their pitch, which was turned into a quagmire by the heavy rain.

The Reds fielded a strong side and Witton were no match for their strength and experience. Ted Cockett opened the scoring after eight minutes when he finished a left wing move with a low shot into the bottom corner.

Witton looked for an equaliser and Henry Blundell shot just over the bar, but Colne doubled their lead on 24 minutes when Cockett broke clear and easily beat keeper Connor Gregory with a low shot.

Four minutes later, Witton failed to clear the ball from their goalmouth under pressure and Jason Hart made it 3-0 from close range.

Colne pressed home their advantage, and within a minute Lee Barrett took on the defenders before firing home a low diagonal shot.

Three minutes later, Colne’s Ben Shedwick, making his debut, got on the score sheet when he knocked in goal number five in a crowded goalmouth.

At the other end, Blundell saw his shot palmed away from under the bar by Chris Thompson and Corey Mason blasted a shot just over.

But the Reds went further ahead when Barrett fired home after 38 minutes.

With the half-time score at 6-0, the heavy rain which had persisted throughout the first half, mercifully stopped, and Witton tested Thompson with a good shot which brought an acrobatic save.

But the Reds added a seventg on 57 minutes when Shedwick laid the ball off for Kieran Demaine to find the net with a firm shot.

And eight minutes later, live wire Barrett supplied a searching cross for Hart to thump home.

And it was fitting that Barrett scored the final goal for Colne with an unstoppable 30-yard shot into the roof of the net after 75 minutes to complete his hat-trick.