Colne stunned by Trafford fightback

Jason Hart put Colne ahead against Trafford
Jason Hart put Colne ahead against Trafford
Share this article

Colne went down to a 3-1 defeat against Trafford on Tuesday evening despite looking to be in the driving seat at half-time.

In a game of two halves, the Reds deservedly took the lead just before the interval, having matched their opponents with a solid display, but conceded three goals in a dramatic second half turn around.

Trafford came forward in the opening stages of the game, testing the Colne defence, but Nathan Bond and Michael Morrison made good clearances from the penalty area as Aaron Burns supplied some dangerous crosses.

As Colne settled, they began to look dangerous on the break and Jay Hart came close to opening the scoring after 20 minutes when he broke on the right and his cross shot flew wide of the far post with Ben Wharton just unable to reach it.

Minutes later Hart saw another shot deflected to the keeper after Wharton’s through ball had given him a sight of goal.

The Reds pressed forward with a series of chances as Joe Garvin curled a dangerous free kick into the goalmouth for Wharton’s head, and Chris Lynch’s long ball into the box created panic in the visitors’ defence before being scrambled clear.

Adam Morning curled a shot inches over the bar as Colne promised to break the deadlock.

Another free kick by Garvin found Wharton’s head in front of goal but his header flew wide off a defender.

At the other end, Mitchell Bryant pulled a shot across the face of goal after bursting into the Reds penalty area, and with half-time approaching, Burns almost gave Trafford the lead when he saw his close range shot saved by the legs of Tony Aghayere.

But the Reds took the lead when Chris Anderson won the ball in midfield and Wharton sent Hart racing clear with a great through ball to beat the keeper with a chip into the net on the stroke of half time.

Trafford came out for the second half in a more determined mood and levelled the scores after only five minutes when a corner kick was headed on by Joshua Granite and knocked home at the far post by Bryant.

As Colne pushed forward again, Garvin saw his powerful left foot shot deflected and saved at the foot of the post by the grateful keeper.

But when the Reds conceded a free kick just outside their penalty area, Liam Brownhill struck the crossbar with a well hit shot and Burns followed up to head home the loose ball in a crowded area giving Trafford the lead at 2-1.

Again Colne pushed forward and Morning shot wide after Morrison had headed the ball down for him in the area.

But with the Reds committed to attack, a quick break down the left wing by the visitors after 80 minutes produced a cross into the box for Nicky Platt to turn in at the far post and give Trafford an unassailable 3-1 lead.

Colne travel to play Scarborough Athletic tomorrow and are at Farsley Celtic on Tuesday night.