Colne suffer derby defeat on the back of home setback

Red card: Nathan Bond was sent off in the 1-0 defeat at home to Norton United on Saturday
Red card: Nathan Bond was sent off in the 1-0 defeat at home to Norton United on Saturday
Share this article

Colne twice slipped to defeat by the solitary goal over the week.

On Saturday the in-form Reds suffered a narrow loss at home to promotion-chasing Norton United, before losing the derby at Barnoldswick Town on Tuesday night.

At Barnoldswick, Colne started well, and almost took the lead after 10 minutes when Tom Berwick forced a great save from Billy Carrington from the edge of the area.

There were warning signs that the Reds might be punished for failing to put away their chances, however, as Barnoldswick were quick to break at every opportunity, and Sam Howell and Matthew McNamara came close before Town took the lead two minutes into added time at the end of the first half, when Matthew Cavanagh forced the ball home from a corner delivered low into the goalmouth.

As the second half began, Chris Thompson saved a pile driver from Carl Ellerton as Barnoldswick came out with a more positive attitude, but Colne should have been level on 55 minutes when Berwick latched on to a back pass and went round Carrington, but then lost his footing in the six-yard box.

Kieran Demaine and Jimmy Crorken failed to hit the target from good chances, but at the other end, Joel Melia was finding space and grazed the crossbar with a dipping shot, before minutes later being denied by Thompson as he tried to dribble round him in a one-on-one.

In the closing stages, Stevie Cassidy appeared to be tripped in the area, but the referee ignored Colne’s appeals and awarded a corner.

On Saturday, Colne lost by the same margin at the XLCR Stadium against Norton.

Norton looked a strong side all round and threatened to score throughout the first half.

But Thompson kept them at bay with a point blank save from Leigh Skellern’s header, and much of their finishing lacked accuracy.

The Reds almost snatched the lead five minutes before the interval when Mark Coyne’s header forced a great one-handed save from Daniel Roberts.

The pattern continued in the second half, but after 56 minutes Jason Hart volleyed over from a great chance after an end-to-end build up involving Ed Williams and Coyne.

Colne were rocked by the sending off of Nathan Bond for retaliation in a midfield incident after 64 minutes.

And Norton took the lead five minutes later when Jonathan Beaumont fired a low shot into the bottom corner.

The 10 men of Colne rallied, but Norton held on to deny the Reds any reward.

Colne welcome league leaders Runcorn Linnets to the XLCR Stadium tomorrow, with a 3 p.m. kick-off, before travelling to Norton United on Tuesday night.