Colne FC take three points against Silsden

editorial image
Share this article

COLNE took all three points from their fixture at Silsden on Boxing Day thanks to two second half goals by Mark Coyne and Mark Threlfall.

The Reds had to battle against the strong wind for the first 45 minutes on a heavy, energy-sapping pitch but managed to get to the interval without conceding a goal. Danny Gleave and Neil Harries both made vital interceptions to stop the darting runs of Andy Lee inside the Colne penalty area as he slipped through the Reds defence in the opening stages. And Chris Thompson made a good save to prevent Joe Gaughan from opening the scoring in a one-on-one after 15 minutes.

Colne’s best attacks came from build-ups on the wings with the ball played on the floor. Marc Young prompted a series of promising moves for Jimmy Crorken and Dominic Craig to supply crosses into the home goalmouth. But Harries’ shot flew just past the top corner after 20 minutes and Coyne’s angled lob over the keeper drifted wide of the far post on the half hour.

But Colne survived a series of scares leading up to half time when Thompson saved with his feet in a one-on-one with Lee before Gaughan headed over the crossbar from the resulting corner. And Gaughan missed an even easier chance when he headed against the post from a corner and the ball was blocked on the goal-line where Thompson claimed it in a crowd of defenders.

The second half was a different story as Colne took control with the wind at their backs. Threlfall (pictured) should really have opened the scoring when he robbed a defender in the home area but shot across the face of the goal. On 55 minutes, the Reds took the lead when Young’s shot was blocked in the goalmouth and Coyne blasted the rebound into the net through a crowd of defenders.

After 66 minutes, Coyne might have doubled their lead when Threlfall’s through ball sent him clear but ex-Colne keeper James Mann deflected his close range shot wide of goal. Colne kept up the pressure and Silsden headed two successive inswinging corners off their goal-line from Crorken and Craig with Mann beaten.

Silsden still looked dangerous with sporadic attacks but Steve Pickup and Sam Morris coped well with any threat. And the Reds made the points safe with four minutes to go. Young’s perfectly measured ball down the right wing gave Sam Hayes acres of space for his run and cross and Threlfall found the net with a near post header past the stranded keeper.

The Reds now take on Barnoldswick Town at home today (Monday), 3 p.m. kick off.