Congleton Town 0, Colne 1

Nathan Taylor
Nathan Taylor
Share this article

COLNE continued their climb up the table with an impressive win against high-flying Congleton Town on Saturday.

The Reds made a good start to the game with Nathan Taylor (pictured, left) causing problems for the home defence down the flanks, and debutant Robert Grimes imposing his authority in the midfield.

Michael Morrison came close to opening the scoring when he rose to meet Ashley Carter’s cross, but his header flew over the crossbar.

Tom Fowler also saw his header from a corner soar over the bar.

Then Morison released Jason Hart through the middle, but after beating the defence with his pace, his shot was brilliantly saved by Michael Langley.

But Colne took a deserved lead on 36 minutes when Dominic Craig chased a long clearance and did well to keep the ball in play before pulling the ball back to Taylor for a simple tap-in.

In the second half as Congleton pushed forward in search of an equaliser, Colne began to expose the gaps in their defence and had several chances to increase their lead.

On 50 minutes Hart latched onto a long clearance and played in Morrison who cut inside but his shot was well saved by Langley.

Then Taylor saw his shot tipped over the bar after good work by Ed O’Neill.

On the hour, Hart broke away again but this time the striker became provider when he rolled the ball to Taylor but the ball hit his shin and bounced clear.

Chris Thompson (pictured, right) then made a brilliant double save, first with his feet and next with his hands before Hart was foiled by the legs of Langley.

In the last 15 minutes, Congleton threw on all three substitutes but Scott Moore and Ben Hoskin remained solid at the heart of the Colne defence and were happy just to clear their lines and see out the game.


COLNE’S Chris Thompson has been named Reusch NWC Premier Division Goalkeeper of the Month for October.

Chris won both of Colne’s Manager’s Player of the Year and Players’ Player of the Year last season, and he has continued in the same vein of form.

During October he kept three clean sheets in the six games he played.

Against Winsford in a 3-2 home win, he made some magnificent saves, and in the 2-0 defeat at Padiham in the Lancashire FA Co-Operative Challenge Cup, his brilliance kept the side in contention until the second half.

Against Norton United at home in a 0-0 draw, his man of the match performance earned Colne a point.

From the first minute where he tipped the ball round the post, until the 85th, where in another one on one situation he beat the ball away, his performance was outstanding.

The next two games saw Colne record two 5-0 wins, at AFC Blackpool and at home to Silsden. In the Blackpool game whenever he was called up to make a save he did so, and against Silsden after Colne had taken the lead, he made some outstanding saves to keep his third consecutive clean sheet.

The month ended at Abbey Hey in the League Challenge Cup where Colne lost 3-1, and he was beaten only by two long range rocket shots and a last minute one on one.

Colne secretary Ed Lambert said: “I would not swap him for any other keeper in the league.”