Cup shocks aplenty in League Cup

editorial image

FOLLOWING the second round matches in the League Cup, six teams have qualified for the quarter finals of the competition with three of the successful teams, SKK Blacko, Pendle Blues Athletic and Pendle Renegades beating clubs from a higher division.

SKK Blacko won by the odd strike in a nine-goal thriller against Life FC. A hat-trick from Anthony Hartley and a Mark Smith brace proved enough to take the First Division side through at the expense of their Premier Division rivals. Zahoor Hussain (2), Haroon Afzal and Serkan Yilmaz replied for Life.

Pendle Blues Athletic came from behind to beat Station Hotel 4-2. Station Hotel raced into a two-goal lead following goals from Adam Parker and Paul Birkett but a brace from David Shackleton along with goals from Michael Butler and Daniel Ibbetsen booked Athletic’s place in the last eight. Second Division new comers Pendle Renegades also progressed through to the quarter-final stages of the competition by beating Sacred Heart Celtic Development squad 4-1 after extra-time. Harry Kavanagh opened the scoring for Celtic. Daniel Hammond equalised early in the second half to take the tie into extra time when a Scott Myers double and a Chris Garner effort put Renegades in the next round.

Elsewhere, a Mark Dutton hat-trick, a Danny Craig double and goals from Ross Unthank and Jake Bancroft helped Crown FC to a 7-0 win against Paak United. Eddie Caddis and Scott Ridehalgh were on target for Sacred Heart in their 2-1 win against Trawden Venue, who replied through Ben Gorman. Sacred Heart United secured their place in the last eight following a 6-4 win against Crooked Billet. Johnny Parker (2), Peter Mellor (2), Dave Abbott and Dan Oldfield scored for United.

In the only game played in the Premier Division, Timmy T’s beat Graham Engineering Redskins 3-2 following a Michael Uprichard double and a Jonny Thomson effort. Spencer Jordan scored both Redskins goals.

First Division leaders George and Dragon Athletic suffered only their second league defeat of the season against Financial Affairs who moved to within two points of their opponents. Carl Cawtherley and Andy Bulman struck for Affairs while Joshua Hind replied for Dragon. Colne Town closed the gap at the top of the First Division to one point after a 2-2 draw with Lanway FC; Paul Hanson and Antony Birkett secured a point for the latter. Paak AFC enjoyed their first victory of the season by beating Shooters Clarets 11-1. Braces from Umar Faruque, Zia Mohiuddin, Mohammed Akmal and Afraz Ahmed along with goals from Ibrar Ahmed, Adeeb Nadeem and Waqas Ahmed helped Paak to an emphatic win.

Meanwhile, Michael Bann and Sam Halstead were both on target for Fence FC as they beat T&R Precision 2-0, and Colne Cougars moved up to fourth place in the Second Division after beating Life Athletic 7-2. A James Diggle hat-trick and goals from John Catlow, Paul Binns, Gareth Christopher and Shane Daffern secured the points for Cougars. Athletic’s consolation goals came from Wasim Abbas and Farooq Hussain.