Disappointing defeats leave Town eighth

Ben Gorman challenges Matthew Conkie at Northwich on Saturday''''''Pic: Peter Naylor
Ben Gorman challenges Matthew Conkie at Northwich on Saturday''''''Pic: Peter Naylor
Share this article

Barnoldswick Town slipped to eighth in the NWC Premier Division table with two defeats over the week.

On Saturday, Town went down 2-1 at 1874 Northwich, before a disappointing 3-1 setback at AFC Darwen on Wednesday night.

At the Anchor Ground, Darwen, Town were up against a side who had lost their last five games, conceding 24 goals.

Town welcomed back Joseph Gaughan into the starting line-up.

After 15 minutes, pressure from Darwen saw the ball bobble around the area, and a home player was penalised for a dangerous overhead kick, from which they put the ball in the net, only to be disallowed.

But Darwen took the lead on 32 minutes, as a long ball split the Town defence right down the middle, and former Nelson man Jonny Hession latched onto it and easily slotted the ball home.

That looked like being the only goal until, four minutes from time, a mistake in the Town defence saw Nick Hepple streaking through, and just as it looked like he would shoot, he was brought down inside the area.

The linesman gave the decision, much to the dismay of the Town players, and Hepple himself stepped up and scored low down just inside Jordan Gidley’s right hand post.

As the game drifted into injury time, Town were given a life line as Darwen scored an own goal from a corner.

But the last action came at the Town end as substitute Bradley Brearley scored.

At Northwich, the hosts took the lead in the 14th minute, as a fierce cross was allowed to go across the face of the goal to the far post, and the unmarked Mike Brandon cracked the ball into the roof of the Town net.

Just after the hour, a cross came in and Matthew Beadle won the race for the ball, sliding it across Gidley into the far corner.

Town pulled one back with two minutes remaining as a corner wasn’t cleared and Thomas Henderson cracked a shot low just inside the right hand post.

Town puished for a leveller, but the hosts managed to hold out.

Town return to the Silentnight Beds Stadium tomorrow when they host Ashton Athletic.