Eventful week ends with mixed fortunes for Barnoldswick Town

Town's Joe Gaughan (right) was sent off at the weekend but scored midweek
Town's Joe Gaughan (right) was sent off at the weekend but scored midweek
Share this article

Three red cards, 13 goals and 16 penalties provided the make-up for Barnoldswick Town’s week as they progressed in the West Riding County Cup after being knocked out of the FA Vase.

John Beckwith scored a hat-trick but missed from the spot in the penalty shoot-out as Town finally overcame Eccleshill United in sudden death following a 5-5 draw after 90 minutes.

The striker opened the scoring in the second minute, beat goalkeeper James Beck to find the far corner midway through the half and secured the treble from a Jack Hargreaves cross in the 37th minute.

However, the hosts somehow surrendered that cushion. United hit back through Ashley Slater while Liam Charles reduced the arrears again before the break.

And six minutes in to the second half the away side were level as Brett Catley slammed the ball home from close range.

Town substitute Dalton Hutchison scored within a minute of his introduction to restore the lead but an unmarked Adam Turner headed past Scott Gardner with 15 minutes remaining to make it 4-4.

Things got worse for Town when Luke Harrop gave the visitors the lead for the first time but Beckwith found substitute Joe Gaughan late on and he slotted past Beck to level proceedings.

Gaughan, Thomas Henderson, Shaun Airey and Matt Cavanagh all converted from 12 yards out with Beckwith and Luke Craven missing for either side. Hutchison, Jake McEneaney and Billy Crawshaw then scored before Gardner saved from Brett Catley to secure an 8-7 win.

Stewart Airdrie’s programme notes spoke volumes in the club’s 3-0 defeat to North East outfit Newton Aycliffe at the weekend. In the aftermath, Town’s manager claimed that the tie was ruined by the “worst official I have witnessed in my career”.

Gaughan was given his marching orders while Jack Hargreaves and assistant manager James Gill also saw red. Henderson and Threlfall also had goals wiped out from dubious offside decisions during the second qualifying round fixture.

And insult was added to injury as the hosts scored three times after the break through Dennis Knight, Paul Garthwaite and substitute Jordan Laidler.