Five-star Colne hammer Alsager

Colne's Ben Wharton (left)
Colne's Ben Wharton (left)
Share this article

Colne handed out a five-goal thrashing to second bottom team Alsager Town at the XLCR Stadium on Tuesday night.

The Reds led by a single Jay Hart goal at half-time but stepped up the pace in the second half and ran out easy winners in the end.

Hart almost opened the scoring after only three minutes from Chris Anderson’s pass, but keeper Matthew Conkie pushed his shot over the bar.

The visitors put together some enterprising attacks, but rarely troubled Colne keeper Tony Aghayere, who was in commanding form.

After 16 minutes, Colne took the lead when they threaded the ball through midfield with a series of passes before Anderson released Hart on goal, and his shot found the net off the inside of the left hand post.

Marc Young’s free kick was headed down by Ben Wharton for Joel Melia to try a 20-yard shot that flew just over the bar. And Melia came even closer on the half hour when Simon Nangle’s quick free kick sent him clear, but his shot was pushed round the near post by Conkie.

The game was still very much in the balance at half-time, but the Reds stretched their lead within 30 seconds of the restart when Melia’s high cross from the left wing was headed into the top corner by Ben Wharton, and two minutes later, the Reds went further ahead when Melia’s speculative shot bobbled past Conkie and finished in the bottom corner.

Conkie atoned for his error when he made a fine save to keep out Nangle’s free kick, which was heading for the top corner. And as play swung to the other end, Michael Machin brought a good save from Aghayere with a well-struck shot.

Anderson released Hart on goal, and when his shot was blocked by Conkie, Dom Craig fired the loose ball into the top corner.

Anderson was again involved after 84 minutes when he linked with Kenny Taylor to release Wharton in acres of space, and he slipped the ball past the keeper to notch up the Reds’ fifth goal.

Colne are at Barnoldswick Town tomorrow and at home to Silsden on Monday, both 3 p.m. kick-offs.