Former Colne striker Mark settles the derby

Colne keeper Chris Thompson
Colne keeper Chris Thompson
Share this article

Colne went down 2-1 at home to Barnoldswick Town in the derby at the XLCR Stadium on Wednesday night.

In front of 161 spectators, the game did not disappoint.

Colne took the lead on 13 minutes when Jason Hart outpaced the Barnoldswick defenders and squared the ball to Dominic Craig, who blasted into the roof of the net.

Shortly before the half-hour Barnoldswick could easily have equalised but for a brilliant save by Chris Thompson, blocking a close range shot by Mark Threlfall.

And five minutes later Barnoldswick equalised when Aaron Hollindrake’s cross broke to the far post where Danny Boyle volleyed the ball into the top far corner.

Just before the break Billy Priestley was denied by a brilliant save by Thompson, and seconds later Colne had the ball in the net only for Craig to be ruled off-side.

Barnoldswick began the second half in the ascendancy and it took just two minutes to take the lead when Hollindrake released former Red Threlfall, who slipped the ball under Thompson.

The goal breathed new life into Colne, but despite of some intense pressure, they could not find an equaliser.

On Saturday, Colne went down 1-0 at home to league leaders Maine Road, bringing an end to a run of three straight wins.

The Reds fell behind early on when Martin Hill pulled the ball back from the bye-line giving Richard Williams an easy tap-in at the near post.

Undeterred Colne continued to heap pressure on the Maine Road defence.

Dominic Craig’s effort was well saved by Gregory Hall, and Ashley Carter and Jason Hart combined to create a chance for Robert Grimes which flew narrowly wide.

Grimes came close again from a free kick but the ball flew just past the top corner.

Maine Road’s only other serious effort came just before the break when Thompson proved he was equal to a good shot by Williams.

Maine Road made a good start to the second half with Williams coming close again in the opening minutes.

But as the half progressed Colne began to dominate and they created a host of chances, but Maine Road packed their defence under the intense pressure as the visitors held on.


On Monday night, Colne Reserves earned a 3-1 win over Ashton Town Reserves in the Galaxy League at the XLCR Stadium.

Ashton Town went in front through Stan Saitorious after eight minutes, but Colne levelled 20 minutes later through Matt Feely .

Nathan Gibson gave them the lead on the hour, heading in Tom Anderton’s free kick, and two minutes later, Colne got their third goal as Daz Simpson finished from an Anderton cross.