Four wins out of four as Colne climb to sixth

Joe Garvin taking on the Stockport defence
Joe Garvin taking on the Stockport defence
Share this article

Two late goals from Joe Garvin and Andrew Tinker saw Colne move to sixth in the table as they made it four wins from four, beating Congleton Town 3-1.

Congleton started strongly, and after two minutes Hudson’s shot was easily gathered by keeper Chris Thompson.

The pitch was cutting up quickly, and both sides struggled to gain any momentum.

Colne pressed forward looking for the opener, and Danny Boyle hit a sweet volley from a tight angle that narrowly cleared the bar.

Skipper Si Nangle attracted a number of poor challenges, one of which earned Scott Barlow a booking.

But on 32 minutes, Boyle sent a deep cross in towards Spencer Jordan, who flicked the ball to the edge of the area towards Nangle, who curled an unstoppable effort into the top corner.

Colne nearly doubled their lead just before the break when Jordan was thrown to the ground on the edge of the area, and Garvin stepped up and blasted the ball narrowly over the bar.

The second half began and Congleton pressed Colne hard. Middleton released Hunter who showed some great footwork in the box, but his shot was well saved.

The following corner resulted in a pinpoint cross in to Langford, but he could only volley straight at Thompson.

On 59 minutes, Garvin appeared to be intercepted by the official in the centre of the park and the ball broke to Hunter who released Barlow. He then squared the ball to Sephton, who sold a dummy to the Colne defence and played a neat ball back to Hunter who slotted home a neat finish into the far corner.

Congleton were in the ascendancy, and Demaine was replaced by Tinker as Colne tried to change the momentum of the game.

Minutes later Colne scored their second against the run of play. Anderson sent a diagonal ball into striker Boyle who held the ball up and released Garvin, who unleashed an unstoppable drive into the bottom corner.

Then Tinker, who was lively after his introduction from the bench, spotted keeper Ellison off his line and from 30 yards sent a neat chip goal bound, but Ellison made an acrobatic save to tip the ball over the bar.

In the 88th minute Jordan found himself some room in a crowded box, held the ball up and squared to Chris Anderson, who turned and played in Tinker, who fired into the bottom corner.

It was a sigh of relief for Colne, who never really managed to get going on the rough playing surface.

The Reds are at home on Saturday against top of the league Runcorn Linnets.