Fourth-straight defeat for Town

Barnoldswick Town FC manager Stewart Airdrie is pictured with Anne Wolfenden of Cloud 1990. (S)
Barnoldswick Town FC manager Stewart Airdrie is pictured with Anne Wolfenden of Cloud 1990. (S)
Share this article

Barnoldswick Town slipped to 12th in the NWCFL Premier Division table following a fourth-successive defeat at Winsford United on Saturday.

Stewart Airdie’s side started well, and went in front after only eight minutes when Sam Howell’s pinpoint pass found Andrew Hill on the edge of the area, and his scuffed effort crept inside the post.

But the hosts levelled midway through the first half as Brandon Moores emerged with the ball after a challenge with Shaun Airey, and he side-stepped Jordan Gidley before slotting home.

Adam Bayley’s header hit the outside of the post just before half-time as Town had an escape, and after the break, Moores sent a snap shot into the side netting.

Michael Langley had to tip over Matthew Cavanagh’s header, while Gidley palmed away a Lee Duckworth free kick.

However, from the resulting corner, Terry Cain was on hand to convert at the far post.

Substitute Zack Dale wasted a chance to earn a point as he raced clear, only to fire across the keeper and wide.

Town are in FA Vase action tomoreow at Charnock Richard, before they host Atherton Collieries on Tuesday night.

In the East Lancashire League Second Division, Town won 4-3 at Grindleton.

Eliot Platt rattled the inside of the upright with an instinctive volley, before Grindleton were gifted the lead.

The equaliser came almost immediately through a fine half volley from Matthew Hargreaves.

They they took the lead after 35 minutes when a fine through ball by Luke Parkinson was expertly converted by Jonny Beech.

A pinpoint cross by Platt found Bailey Coates, who volleyed home, and just before the break, Jake Hartley gave the young Barnoldswick side a 4-1 lead with a typical smart turn and clinical finish.

This was by far the best half that Town had played this season.

Nonetheless a football match lasts for at least 90 minutes, and Town let their opponents back into the game, conceding two goals in the first 10 minutes of the second half, only to hold on for the win.